Silkie thread!

New pic's of the eight week old grow out kids. Splash, Blue Cream, and a Self Blue decided to pile together. These two Blue Cream took time out from sparring with each other to pose. SLW chick photo bombed!
They are soooo cute! I love their colors! I've never seen blue cream! Its beautiful!

Well my little black pullet had a se back. She has developed wry neck. I started her on vitamin

Oh no. You may need to supplement her thiamine routinely it's quite possible the feed is lacking.

Hi guys - was the following posts by you? I keep everything Fancychooklady advises. Never know when her wonderful advice comes in handy!

The pics ive seen og wry neck the birds neck is usually bent under. mine is like lookimg up at the sky with one side og his head.
i have him imside with me and e erytime he falls asleep his head is falling to one side a.d bes panting but its cool inside
Fancychooklady answered:
What you are describing is known as ' stargazing ' . The muscle atrophy caused by vitamin B deficiency can show up anywhere in their bodies.
Some polyvisol ( without iron ) administered a drop at a time into the beak morning and night . Or a drop added to scrambled egg or oatmeal.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/216/vitamin-bi-deficiency

he keeps going into like seizures where he just flails his head

Fancychooklady answered:
You are giving the wrong B vitamin for wry neck . You need to give B1 thiamine and B3 niacin. Polyvisol covers both.

Also , if this is a result of an injury and there is swelling on the brain( causing seizures ) it would help to add prednisone to his meds

Salt and Pepper hatchery silkies probably have the "broodiness" bred out of them. Hatcheries don't want broodies sitting around, they want eggs for their massive incubators and and /or eggs to sell. While broodies are sitting on their eggs , they stop laying eggs until they have finished with their chicks. Some broodies start up all over again.

While this may be true to an extent, I know for a fact, that since silkies are bred for ornamental purposes, hatcheries don't focus on egg production nearly as much, leaving the chance for the broodiness instinct to stay intact. I know of many people that have hatchery silkies that still go broody all the time.

I have one hatchery Silkie and many others that I sourced from breeders. My hatchery Silkie is the broodiest of the bunch and she's a much better mother than the others (I suspect this is because she doesn't have all of the additional plumage).

I don't think broodiness can be bred out of bantam breeds. Every review about bantam breeds, no matter WHAT breed, the reviews reiterate that the bantam goes broody and is a "good mother." Even some hatchery sites will say their particular breed "makes a good mother." Goodness, I even had a production Leghorn go broody-go figure? As for Silkies, unless there is something seriously wrong with them, they will never stop going broody - the little darlings!

Color? I have a buff hen, 2 white hens, 1 white rooster, 1 partridge rooster, and one partridge/white hen. All silkies

This is Fleecy. He's 7 weeks old & my only Silkie. He's kept separate from my flock because the leghorns were a bit rough with him. Since he doesn't have any flockmates, his pin feathers are a bit out of control. Is there anything I can do to help him? He won't sit still to let me help preen them on his head. Poor guy looks like he has a Mohawk!

They are soooo cute! I love their colors! I've never seen blue cream! Its beautiful!
Thank you. Truly.
big_smile.png
Blue Cream is aka Porcelain. In the USA it was started by George Mihalik. Maybe a decade ago? I too love the color. It's a project variety and ideally you want to get a 80% lavender and 20% buff dilution. This year in my F2 pen, half the chicks are looking good. The other half are still beautiful and I want to keep them all. Which leads me to the next post.

@MumsyIII where do you live??? and/or do you ship????
I live on Whidbey Island off the coast of Washington State. I will hand deliver within 200 miles of where I live and am looking into shipping in the future. I have sold very few until recently. Thank you for asking.

Thank you. Truly. :D  Blue Cream is aka Porcelain. In the USA it was started by George Mihalik. Maybe a decade ago? I too love the color. It's a project variety and ideally you want to get a 80% lavender and 20% buff dilution. This year in my F2 pen, half the chicks are looking good. The other half are still beautiful and I want to keep them all. Which leads me to the next post.

I live on Whidbey Island off the coast of Washington State. I will hand deliver within 200 miles of where I live and am looking into shipping in the future. I have sold very few until recently. Thank you for asking.

Ah, well you just happen to live on the other side of the country from me, lol. Too bad. I have some good breeders around me for whites and blacks, but your colors were just beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom