Silkie thread!

I got a silkie chick yesterday......no pics, but it is pale yellowish with some gray spots. Does that sound like a legitimate silkie color? I think the lady said something about a vaulted head. It was as we were leaving the swap and i was really tired and if she said more i cant remember.

I got a silkie chick yesterday......no pics, but it is pale yellowish with some gray spots. Does that sound like a legitimate silkie color? I think the lady said something about a vaulted head. It was as we were leaving the swap and i was really tired and if she said more i cant remember.

I got a mix like that. The breeder told me the mom was buff and the dad was lavender. :) purebred just not pure with the colors I'm supposing. :)

Is this a bearded or non-bearded silkie chick?:cd

Jennifer:
A silkie can be almost any color and still be a purebred. I'd look at things like feathers on the legs, 5 toes, black skin (although less than good quality silkie can have faults with all these features) and of course the silkie feathering - which can be hard to be sure about until they shed their baby fuzz, to decide if she's full silkie. . I think you'll find the colors can change quite a bit from baby fuzz to real feathers. You cannot tell for sure at this point but yellowish gray chicks can come out pure white. Grayish spots can fade entirely or can darken up to a black and white paint, ore end up some kind of light partridge coloring.. I suspect you'll love her no matter what color she comes out. I have 7 silkie adult hens right now plus a bunch of partially grown ones and all but one go broody very regularly. They are a great breed. Enjoy.

I just hope she stays cute, lol. She has a bit of a dirty look with her colors. My biggest concern is that she really is a SHE and that she will be a broody girl.

If the parents were buff and lav, then chick would be porcelain or self blue cream (two names, same color). Not an accepted variety, though lots of breeders are working hard to change that!

This chick came from a Silkie sized egg & the father is a Silkie but the smooth wings have us puzzled. What are people's thoughts on this chick? It is about 2 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom