Silkie thread!

@shahtir101this is my favorite from my las thatch the other two are plain white.

It doesn't even show all the different colors in the pick

She is gorgeous!

My daighter wants to get a white silkie. Problem is how would they do in a coup with 5 Buff Orpingtons if I got them all as chicks? My buffs are coming June 10 and I thought I could get a silkie at the same time and let them get to know each other. The other thing is she would have to stay in the coop while the ladies free range. Our coop is 45 square feet not including the run which is 18'x6'. Do they need company? Should I get a second one?

These are my brand new blue silkie bantam chicks! One of them has a "scissor beak" deformity. I didn't realize this until I got her home, but I didn't have the heart to take her back. So her name is Ellis and from everything I have read, she's going to be able to cope just fine.

My daighter wants to get a white silkie. Problem is how would they do in a coup with 5 Buff Orpingtons if I got them all as chicks? My buffs are coming June 10 and I thought I could get a silkie at the same time and let them get to know each other. The other thing is she would have to stay in the coop while the ladies free range. Our coop is 45 square feet not including the run which is 18'x6'. Do they need company? Should I get a second one?

I would definitely suggest getting two or even three, since one bantam alone with a bunch of standards is not generally a good idea. If you got them as chicks, and raised them with the BOs, there shouldn't be a problem. But there's no guarantee when mixing banties and standards. A lot of the time Silkies will get along fine with calmer standards like BOs.

Silkies can't free range unless you're out there watching them. They have no way to get away from predators.

Had my first hatch of chicks that I'm 100% sure are offspring of the Cuckoo hen and Partridge male. 1 looks pure black (pullet) and the other has a noticeable white spot on its neck. Not its head - it's neck. But definitely a white dot, so male. It has dark feet despite this.

Two of my Silkies from the previous batch are also sex linked cockerels. Both have white dots and are developing barring on their wings. I have a third black chick from that batch that may be a female from the sex link cross, but may also be offspring of my blue Cochin/Silkie mix hen who I threw in the pen for fun.

I have five more Sex Link Silkie eggs in my next batch (or maybe the one after that, I'm not sure) so those will provide more information.

Based on what I've hatched and seen so far here are my thoughts:

- All the Partridge chicks I keep getting are offspring of my white hens. Some may have been the late Ragnar's chicks as well.

- The Blues and some of the Blacks are 3/4 Silkie 1/4 Cochin crosses

- The other blacks and the Cuckoos are offspring of the sex linked cross. Also possibly a mostly black Partridge-Y one.

- I also got an odd white one. With pure pink feet. Not sure what was up with that. Recessive white cockerel from my sex linked cross?

- The first Partridge chick with pink feet was a fluke?

Pics soon.

Back
Top Bottom