Silkie thread!

Question... So the assumption is that 2-4 of our silkies are roosters ... I think we are hoping really hard it's just 2-3 lol... We can keep a rooster but how do people rehome scraggly teenaged silkie roosters... Advice appreciated because I'm not sure what to do with them lol they're so little

This is the biggest challenge with breeding silkies. My male/female ratio when I hatch eggs is usually right around 50%. I can sell girls in 30 seconds but boys are a lot harder. I can sell them here and there but if I know they can go to a good home I just give them away. You need to start making contacts with other people that have chickens locally and put the word out that you have some extra boys. Usually someone will contact me for a boy through word of mouth.

I have heard that Silkie roos are supposed to be really quiet. Is this true?

Nope! Definitely not. My boys are outside right now crowing like there's no tomorrow!

Buddies . :)

Omg!! So adorable. I love it!

I started with no paint silkies and really wanted to start breeding them. And in just a short time period my paint flock has grown! From ones that are just a couple days old to a year old, I love seeing all these spots in the yard!

I started with no paint silkies and really wanted to start breeding them. And in just a short time period my paint flock has grown! From ones that are just a couple days old to a year old, I love seeing all these spots in the yard!

I love to see your Silkies and such adorable Paints! I just have a couple loud paints, but it looks like my subtle paint rooster over black hens will still make some loud paints. Getting some lavenders and showgirls too! How did your last hatch go?

I love to see your Silkies and such adorable Paints! I just have a couple loud paints, but it looks like my subtle paint rooster over black hens will still make some loud paints. Getting some lavenders and showgirls too! How did your last hatch go?
Thanks! The paint roo that I have is not the handsomest. His crest is small and his spots are small but he's got a lot, just not the big ones but his babies have been beautiful! I have another paint cockerel that just hit 6 months are he is so handsome!! I want to separate him and some of the black hens and see how his babies come out. Looks can be deceiving, its the genetics that are important.
Love the paints! I just bought 3 little splash. Baby silkies are such fun!
They are so cute!! I had one splash chick awhile ago. It was the cutest thing and turned into the most handsome boy.
Cute chicks! I was trying to take pictures of my little paint pair but they weren't very cooperative.
They never cooperate! They are beautiful! I want to trade eggs with you but we are about as far apart as you can get without leaving the country! The post would do some job on the eggs!!!

I know! I was so happy to see I could get loud paints from my not very loud roo with black hens and he has a super dark small comb and is generally very pretty. I think they make nicer chicks than paint x paint which seems to exacerbate the flaws in paints.

I have been shipping my Serama eggs in a way that really works for me and I have had people on the east coast, mostly Florida, get 100% hatches!

I am hatching, or incubating actually, like mad for myself right now because I want to get a couple paint pens and a good lavender pen together. When I have extra eggs, I'll send some your way for a little experiment!

Back
Top Bottom