Silkie thread!

I feed both my chickens three way grain mixed with wild bird seed. They do not care for sunflower seeds so I get the kind that is for small wild birds. For treat I like to give them corn bread and loaf bread my silkie loves fresh greens and fresh grass. She also enjoys fresh corn and dandelion leaves. Now is it OK to give chickens pet bird seed? I wanted to check before I done so.

I feed both my chickens three way grain mixed with wild bird seed. They do not care for sunflower seeds so I get the kind that is for small wild birds. For treat I like to give them corn bread and loaf bread my silkie loves fresh greens and fresh grass. She also enjoys fresh corn and dandelion leaves. Now is it OK to give chickens pet bird seed? I wanted to check before I done so.

I given my chickens left over bird seed before. Just a once in a while thing. They get the lay mash more often. In the winter, that's pretty much what they get except for the greens that I take out to them. In the summer, I don't give them as much lay mash, they free range. But they do love the bread. Feeding them bread in the mornings gets them into the lay mode. Only once a day for that. Of course the usual summer treats that come from summer gardens. Or trees! Mine love apples. My birds love the BOSS. Even the silkies. I also give a handful, only once a week in the summer, of Calf Manna. In the winter, they get a handful three times a week.

I'm new to this whole chicken raising thing. But I love my Silkies the best! So I wanted to show them off. My boyfriend says we bought them at an auction, I like to say we rescued them, becYse at an auction, you really don't know what's going to happen to them. So we came home with 10 Silkie chicks (and 2 bunnies, but that's another story hahaha). I didn't really look them over much, other then making sure none were hurt, bleeding, etc, til the next morning because it was dark by the time we got home. But to my surprise when I checked in their coop was that there weren't 10, there were 11! Sweet free chick! And not all of them were chick age. 3 of them had to already been 3 months old or so. Wow were we surprised. That was 4 and a half months ago. After much research and watching them grow up we have found that we have 6 hens and 5 Roosters. We have also added 2 barnyard hens (im not entirely sure what breed) and a Blue Rooster (idk if there is a specific breed I just call him Blue) and I also begged my boyfriend about 2 and a half weeks ago to go get this Black rooster that's as only $5 and only 15 minutes away from our house. So we went from no chickens and no experience to 15 chickens and a lot more experience than I thought we'd have, in just a matter of months. And this past Sunday we got our first egg from our Silkie hen, Ginny!!! :))) Ok enough about my chicken story, on to the pictures!

This was the day after we brought them home. ( Those 2 brown things in there are our ducklings that we got from Trac Supply)

This is them now (well some of them) they are hard to round up for a group photo)

This is Harry, he's my favorite of the white Roosters.... Shhhhh don't tell the others that. He's got girlfriends Ginny and Luna (yes for those of you who noticed I'm a big Harry Potter fan lol)

This is Rex, he's my only Black Silkie and I basically got him for a steal of a price. He's an ex showbird, the only reason they could no longer show him is because he has silver leakage in his feathers. Fortunately for him, I think he looks more handsome that way. :))

Last edited:
I'm new to this whole chicken raising thing. But I love my Silkies the best! So I wanted to show them off. My boyfriend says we bought them at an auction, I like to say we rescued them, becYse at an auction, you really don't know what's going to happen to them. So we came home with 10 Silkie chicks (and 2 bunnies, but that's another story hahaha). I didn't really look them over much, other then making sure none were hurt, bleeding, etc, til the next morning because it was dark by the time we got home. But to my surprise when I checked in their coop was that there weren't 10, there were 11! Sweet free chick! And not all of them were chick age. 3 of them had to already been 3 months old or so. Wow were we surprised. That was 4 and a half months ago. After much research and watching them grow up we have found that we have 6 hens and 5 Roosters. We have also added 2 barnyard hens (im not entirely sure what breed) and a Blue Rooster (idk if there is a specific breed I just call him Blue) and I also begged my boyfriend about 2 and a half weeks ago to go get this Black rooster that's as only $5 and only 15 minutes away from our house. So we went from no chickens and no experience to 15 chickens and a lot more experience than I thought we'd have, in just a matter of months. And this past Sunday we got our first egg from our Silkie hen, Ginny!!! :))) Ok enough about my chicken story, on to the pictures!

This was the day after we brought them home. ( Those 2 brown things in there are our ducklings that we got from Trac Supply)

This is them now (well some of them) they are hard to round up for a group photo)

This is Harry, he's my favorite of the white Roosters.... Shhhhh don't tell the others that. He's got girlfriends Ginny and Luna (yes for those of you who noticed I'm a big Harry Potter fan lol)

This is Rex, he's my only Black Silkie and I basically got him for a steal of a price. He's an ex showbird, the only reason they could no longer show him is because he has silver leakage in his feathers. Fortunately for him, I think he looks more handsome that way. :))

Adorable flock, it's like silkie heaven! You don't have any problem with the roosters fighting? I can't imagin having so many roos together. Glad your having a good start to chicken raising :)

They fought alot when they were younger. I had tried to find homes for a couple of them but no one around us wanted Roosters and I wasn't taking them back to the auction, so we kept watching them and broke up fights that we could and now they don't fight at all. So I don't know if they ot tired of us breaking them up or if they grew out of it cause they grew up together but whatever the reason it works for me! Haha

My silkie chicks when they were a day old. Lilac, bluebell, and magnolia (white silkies pic won't load). I was hoping the blue ones would stay the colours the were, but they are getting darker with age. I'm sure they will still be very pretty hens though.
Does anyone know where to purchase lavender chicks? The online hatcheries seem to have very limited colours. And even getting blue was hard.

Last edited:

My silkie chicks when they were a day old. Lilac, bluebell, and magnolia (white silkies pic won't load). I was hoping the blue ones would stay the colours the were, but they are getting darker with age. I'm sure they will still be very pretty hens though.
Does anyone know where to purchase lavender chicks? The online hatcheries seem to have very limited colours. And even getting blue was hard.

They may just be a dark blue, but, am I seeing a bit of yellow in the first one shown? It may be a dark splash. Pretty cute babies!

They may just be a dark blue, but, am I seeing a bit of yellow in the first one shown?    It may be a dark splash.   Pretty cute babies!

Thanks, I'm not sure what the yellow in the picture is. She is defiantly solid now (these pictures are 2 months old) I had just hoped she would stay that lavender colour. But she is still pretty either way. Do you know where to purchase rare silkie colours? Mine where from my pet chicken hatchery. The choices where white, black, or blue with the possibility of splash. Just wanted more of a variety.

Gorgeous birds... Rex is very handsome!

Back
Top Bottom