Silkie thread!

I was sitting on the lawn with them taking pics toward the open yard... We have ligustrum hedges(some are fully trees about 20ft high x 15-20 ft deep and 30-40ft long), a big clump of bamboo, and a pair of cedars that are limbed all the way to the ground that they have access to, as well as their coop and run (which is netted over with the thick netting-I've seen it stop a large redtail and it hasn't come back since).
Lots of places to hide near the house and coop!
That is so great that you have shelter places for them. When I looked at the wide open area of the lawn in the pictures I could imagine a few low shelters or cute doghouses scattered in the open lawn spaces -- that way the hens don't have to run so far to a shelter before the hawk swoops down. Even when we're close/watching hens in an open area a hawk will come from behind to swoop down on a foraging flock and the chickens don't have time to outrun the hawk's quicker flying distance -- a nearby doghouse saves the day. Even lawn furniture make good shelters and don't look trashy when on an open lawn. I've watched the Cooper's Hawks in our small backyard fly after spooked Mourning Doves that suddenly fly into a nearby bush/tree and the hawk stops flying after them. Maybe other hawks are different but our Cooper's will not enter combat with partially-hidden prey. It would be so easy for him to walk into a doghouse where he sees a chicken but our Cooper's never combats on the ground.

I also encourage a group of crows that lives locally to stay in the area by feeding them out in the back pasture. They chase any hawks that show up relentlessly.
Crows are absolutely wonderful!!! -- and as long as there's no chicks or ducklings - crows are tempted to go after tiny babies.

I know he can try to father chicks... and I'm happy to let him try all he wants. I just won't be allowing any of those to be set. LOL
When you get serious about breeding pure chicks you can keep Lou penned separately with his own set of "ladies" while you keep a separate area for your breeding group. That way you'll know the eggs from the special breeding group will be 100% for sure purebred.
Wish you weren't so far away -- I'd love to see the unusual flock you have now! -- specially those Moorheads.

Better to keep it fun smaller flock and learn with them now which breed? Silkies or I really want to challenge my self and show them sillies or well until I purchase them then I will decide what breed and how many still have to build the new coop my free range use the barn and won't share with last year chicks who are now the bullies there coop is on my fence I tried everything this is the way they want it my pets wil free range in a moveable run with wheels pooh yea wanna give a shout out to summit station P.A. I love finding this site I have become obsessed with my chickens starting to get somethings I will need research is really important I was never a good reader so I didn't read but now I spend hours reading thank you there a lot of us who share the love of our chickens and I'm not crazy loving chickens is normal

No one understands chicken love until they get some and then we get obsessed with them! I talked to a stranger in line at the store and we both had chickens and talked to each other for 10 minutes obsessing over our hens!

Strange as it may seem, sometimes in a group of hens with no roo present, one hen will become a bit more manly.
People have had them (sort of)crow even...
If you are sure that all three are laying I wouldn't worry about it. Some variance in comb/wattle size is normal, especially among non-show fowl.

Ha ha I love the ide of the smallest one being 'manly'.

Thanks sweetie

Ok here are the wet silkies. The teal one, Jane, was really liking the warm water. Love bathing her as she really enjoys every part of it and is such a ham!

And then here are the finished, super fluffy dry silkies. All hens except the first is a 3 month old roo.

Ok here are the wet silkies. The teal one, Jane, was really liking the warm water. Love bathing her as she really enjoys every part of it and is such a ham!

And then here are the finished, super fluffy dry silkies. All hens except the first is a 3 month old roo.

Aweeeee, They are sooooo cute! I can wait to get my silkie in April. I have a silkie roo right now but he's not a true silkie.

You will love your silkies. Mine know their names and know my routine. They get excited to see me and most like to be picked up and get kisses on the face. When I lay on the ground they come running over and talk to me, even my adult rooster. I just love em!

Back
Top Bottom