Silkied Ameraucana Project

Okay, I have read both threads all the way through! I have lavender silkied eggs from Thespoiledchicken incubating now! I have 7 in the incubator and 11 under a broody hen due to hatch the 25th. I also had 4 wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas hatch today!
ya.gif
I am hoping to work on lavender wheatens.

What is the best way to candle these eggs? I can't see anything with my LED flashlight. I am newish to candling though. I could see into the wheaten ameraucana eggs, but they were a very light blue. The silkied eggs are darker blues and greens.

Okay, I have read both threads all the way through! I have lavender silkied eggs from Thespoiledchicken incubating now! I have 7 in the incubator and 11 under a broody hen due to hatch the 25th. I also had 4 wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas hatch today!
ya.gif
I am hoping to work on lavender wheatens.

What is the best way to candle these eggs? I can't see anything with my LED flashlight. I am newish to candling though. I could see into the wheaten ameraucana eggs, but they were a very light blue. The silkied eggs are darker blues and greens.

AWESOME!!!!! So many times I contemplated working on lavender wheaten and decided against it because of limited time and space so it's great to hear that someone else is working on it!

As far as candling goes those eggs candle good for me with a high power led candler. A simple led flashlight probably won't work unless its a light egg. The other problem with those led flashlights is that they do not have a deep enough lip to completely cup the entire egg and direct all the light inside the egg. You may be able to make a lip with duct tape and see if that helps but honestly if your going to be hatching a lot you may want to invest in a high powered plug in candler. I purchased mine on Amazon and it was about $16.00 and plug in so no batteries to deal with and works great. I can even candle the darkest Marans egg with it.

AWESOME!!!!! So many times I contemplated working on lavender wheaten and decided against it because of limited time and space so it's great to hear that someone else is working on it!

As far as candling goes those eggs candle good for me with a high power led candler. A simple led flashlight probably won't work unless its a light egg. The other problem with those led flashlights is that they do not have a deep enough lip to completely cup the entire egg and direct all the light inside the egg. You may be able to make a lip with duct tape and see if that helps but honestly if your going to be hatching a lot you may want to invest in a high powered plug in candler. I purchased mine on Amazon and it was about $16.00 and plug in so no batteries to deal with and works great. I can even candle the darkest Marans egg with it.

Thanks for the candler recommendation! I bought one and candled the 7 eggs in the incubator tonight. It's day 15. I can see veining on all of them and movement for sure in most of them! Amazing! I haven't candled the eggs under the broody, since I don't have electricity out in the barn. I don't think I'm going to worry about it, since the incubator candling went so well. She is a very good mama. I can't wait for next weekend!

My 4 smooth feathered wheaten babies are doing great. I love their poofy cheeks! I should be able to tell the sexes soon. I also have 3 wheaten marans babies that are 2 weeks old now, 2 boys and 1 girl. Both mamas are getting along and no chick stealing is happening so that's good. Hopefully everything goes well when the silkied babies hatch under the 3rd broody.
fl.gif

Thanks for the candler recommendation! I bought one and candled the 7 eggs in the incubator tonight. It's day 15. I can see veining on all of them and movement for sure in most of them! Amazing! I haven't candled the eggs under the broody, since I don't have electricity out in the barn. I don't think I'm going to worry about it, since the incubator candling went so well. She is a very good mama. I can't wait for next weekend!

My 4 smooth feathered wheaten babies are doing great. I love their poofy cheeks! I should be able to tell the sexes soon. I also have 3 wheaten marans babies that are 2 weeks old now, 2 boys and 1 girl. Both mamas are getting along and no chick stealing is happening so that's good. Hopefully everything goes well when the silkied babies hatch under the 3rd broody.
fl.gif

ya.gif
AWESOME!!!!!

We have babies!!! My broody, Olivia, has hatched 7 so far. One black and the rest are lavender!
1f60d.png
One other little black baby died after it pipped.
1f62d.png
3 eggs to go under her and 7 in the incubator! Today is day 20, so there's still lots of time!

Last edited:
Thanks! You are an awesome egg packer! I believe Olivia has 9 babies hatched and the 10th is pipped! With the poor baby that died while hatching, that makes 11/11 fully developed shipped eggs under the broody.
wee.gif
I hope my bator babies do just as well! They are still hanging out in their eggs, lol.

Thanks! You are an awesome egg packer! I believe Olivia has 9 babies hatched and the 10th is pipped! With the poor baby that died while hatching, that makes 11/11 fully developed shipped eggs under the broody. :weee I hope my bator babies do just as well! They are still hanging out in their eggs, lol.
Aww thanks :) And wow Olivia did such a GREAT job hatching those eggs!!! Fingers crossed your incubator can match her! So excited! :D

Last edited:
The bator babies are hatching! 5 are out and the other 2 are zipping! Every single egg developed! It's my daughters birthday today, so these babies are extra extra special.
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom