Silkied Serama

I have a question (or 20
lol.png
) about the size and productivity of Silkied hens. And please forgive me being a rookie to the silkied variety. I recently bought a Silkied cockerel that is crowing, but to my knowledge has never bred a hen. He looks between A & B size. He came from smooth birds as the owner told me she had no idea where he came from, but all her birds are smooth. He was the only one she had ever produced. So.....

A- Is it true you must have the silkied gene on both sides? Male and female?

B- If I were to breed a smooth feathered, normal sized hen to him, who would get his silkied gene, and is it guaranteed to pass to at least someone?

C- If I take a daughter back to him (that might be carrying the gene) would that bring size and produce some silkied and some smooth? Or will the silkied gene in both make only silkied chicks??

The roo I got is young and was scared spitless when I got him home. He hasn't been handled much, but after 2 days of me feeding him and working with him, he has settled some. This picture really doesn't do him justice, but it was one of the few times I got him out that he wasn't freaking out on me. This was on the day after I got him home. When he is in a cage and relaxed, he does stand up better.

Meet Baron von Silkster
wink.png

Thanks for any and all knowledge you folks care to give.

CassyBB - Where are you located? There aren't many of us with silkied serama and, unfortunately, they aren't as popular as the smoother and/or frizzled. I have many in varying colors right now and love them due to their sweet disposition. I try to take at least one to every show so as to expose newcomers to the breed as well as other serama breeders. They are usually a big hit!
Hi Kate,

Unfortunately, you're so right about the smooth feathered and popularity...Most likely because silkied's are not recognized by ABA......nevertheless, to me they have so many more 'positives'...I love my silkied birds and recently won a Table Top Best in Show above smooths, frizzles other silkieds and malays.

I recently took one of my malay looking silkied boys to a show and he was a huge hit. He's very tiny and the sweetest little guy ever. Despite the judge openly admitting she did not like silkied serama, he did win res champion cock, beating all the boys much larger than he. The little guy is just loaded with character and no one told him he was too small to be a show stopper!

No, i have a pair of these little guys why are a little less than a year and the rooster crows like a little mouse. so quiet.

Yay, for the little guys....Here's my little 7 oz. Champion Silkied Malay Hen.

June, I have a couple of silkied malay cocks that would love her! One mottled, one black. The black one is so darn small he is having a difficult time breeding even the smallest of my silkied girls.

Do the silkies seem to be smaller than the regular smooth seramas? All of my silkies are A class or Micros. I have a full grown hen hat weighs in at about 6 ounces and lays eggs.

Back
Top Bottom