Silkied Serama

I am new to serama's having kept polish and still do, I have a trio of last years birds and have just hatched 4 babies :) and to my shock out if 4 little ones it appears I have to silkied serama's, all parents are straight feathered so it was very unexpected :) I'm now really excited to see how they turn out, and if they are hens I may keep them :)
[/IMG]

Teresa,
Very sweet babies! Congratulations, I love silkieds.They are unusual,soft, and so gentle.
The earliest sign of silkied feathering are the wings. The tips appear tattered. Chick on the left is definately silkied.
Cheers!

I'm just new to chickens, and last week, on impulse, i bought a pair of Seramas. After reading about them, I wonder if I could get a Silkie hen to place with them. Napoleon and Josephine are 5 months old. Should I get a 5 month old Silkie? Regular size, or small? Where would I find such a hen? Next summer my husband wants to place some wild duck eggs under some hen who has gone broody (we also have 15 regular sized chickens of various breeds, just 10 weeks old).

Alot of breeders are in areas that are too hot to send birds through the mail riight now. If I were you (and will be this fall) I would get silkied Serama from Junebug in Okahoma. She breeds exclusively Silkieds and they are wonderful. ( just FYI:Silkied Serama are a veriety of Serama whereas Silkies are a breed unto themselves. There are people that are very protective of the difference between the wording of Silkies and Silkied Serama!)
Talk to June about how to get silkied from your straight feathered birds. Sometimes the gene,since it occurs naturally, will pop up and you will get silkied in the first generation. But, take your questions to a very notable and knowledgable breeder,June.
Good luck!
Sounds like you.ve been bitten by the chicken bug! Good for you!

wow--thanks for writing. i'm so new and ignorant about all of this that i didn't know about silkied seramas. i was just thinking that since seramas are said to be poor mothers, and silkies are said to be great ones, that i might get a silkie to raise any serama babies that may happen. Napoleon and Josephine are getting amorous, although Napoleon doesn't seem too sure of himself and Josephine seems to be bullying him a bit. they're 5 months old. but they seem to be happy together, and now i'm thinking i'll just leave them alone together. thanks so much for your advice! right now i have too much to learn to get into the finer points of breeding and genetics, but i'll remember about june bug when that bug bites me! :)

I just acquired a trio of Silkied Seramas. Tiny little things. I absolutely am in love with my roo and 1 of the hens. I can't wait to show them. I'm going to attempt to put some pics on here as soon as I figure out how! :(

Back
Top Bottom