Silkied Serama

Thank you! I almost always have eggs available. :D

I am looking for a home for a young silkied Serama rooster if anybody's interested. The girls are picking his neck feathers and I need to get him into a new home.

Looking for the color in RA- avatar, she's on a few pages back. Do you have any like this?

My 2 silkied chicks from TJChickens :love

Looking for the color in RA- avatar, she's on a few pages back. Do you have any like this?

Yes, Actually one of my roosters is from RA_
big_smile.png
He is a gray color though. I need to get some more pictures of my silkieds. Here are a few.

This one is the Tribble from RA_ when he was younger.
Nobody has tails in these pictures.
roll.png

I sell a dozen for $30. plus shipping and often put them on the 24 hour Auction for less. There will be both smooth and silkied in the eggs. Right now, mostly silkied because they are laying more than the smooth pens.

Yes, Actually one of my roosters is from RA_ :D He is a gray color though. I need to get some more pictures of my silkieds. Here are a few. This one is the Tribble from RA_ when he was younger. Nobody has tails in these pictures. :rolleyes: I sell a dozen for $30. plus shipping and often put them on the 24 hour Auction for less. There will be both smooth and silkied in the eggs. Right now, mostly silkied because they are laying more than the smooth pens.
So cute! Thank you
1f60a.png
I have a questions do they need heat at night or will they be fine sleeping with the silkies? I don't have heat in my coop.

They need heat at night if temp gets below 40 farenheit, so it depends on where you live.I run an extension cord out to my coop with a heat lamp.

Last edited:
So cute! Thank you
1f60a.png
I have a questions do they need heat at night or will they be fine sleeping with the silkies? I don't have heat in my coop.

I'm not sure that you would want to keep them with your silkies. They are so much smaller. Might be a good arrangement if they get along well. I have a couple pens that I put lamps in for the winter because they are not fully enclosed coops. Basically, I have large cages with roofs and wind breaks. I have another pen of silkied serama that did not have a lamp all winter and they did just fine, not uncomfortable at all. Their pen is open on the front also, but they are a bit overcrowded and sleep in a cuddle pile. It got just below freezing a few times and we've had lots of cold wind and rain. They are sheltered from wind and rain but not in a fully enclosed coop. I think it depends on your arrangement and body heat factors. I have one Serama roo that's loose in the yard because he buddied up with a large rooster. At night, that little Serama crawls under the big rooster.

I'm not sure that you would want to keep them with your silkies. They are so much smaller. Might be a good arrangement if they get along well. I have a couple pens that I put lamps in for the winter because they are not fully enclosed coops. Basically, I have large cages with roofs and wind breaks. I have another pen of silkied serama that did not have a lamp all winter and they did just fine, not uncomfortable at all. Their pen is open on the front also, but they are a bit overcrowded and sleep in a cuddle pile. It got just below freezing a few times and we've had lots of cold wind and rain. They are sheltered from wind and rain but not in a fully enclosed coop. I think it depends on your arrangement and body heat factors. I have one Serama roo that's loose in the yard because he buddied up with a large rooster. At night, that little Serama crawls under the big rooster.

Thank you TJ for the info. I will have to give it some thought, I would have to keep them in with the silkies I was thinking of hatching them and swapping out unfirtle eggs with the chicks under a broody hen and letting them raise them in the flock. I have a small bantam hen if I can get her to sit I would just put the eggs under her. She rules the roost and goes psycho on any hen that comes near her chick. The coop I have now is a large dog house size my husband is going to build me a new one this summer will be larger and nicer. Maybe I should wait until it's done. It does freeze here sometimes in the winter and my little Banty just snuggles up on the roost with the silkies. I was looking at a pic of a man holding a Serama and it didn't look much smaller then her. Thank you
1f60a.png

Speaking of cold heartiness, here's where mine insist on sleeping. I can put them in their coops, they come right back out. I switched pens, thinking something scared them in the first one. Nope. They want to sleep outside. Up on the highest roost. Tonight is supposed to be 17*F. Silly birds. :th

Back
Top Bottom