Simple PVC Feeder (PICS)

I'm very happy with the 45deg bend version. Does work our dearer though. The t piece wasn't as cheap as everything else for some reason.

I have 7 chicken and its only first thing in the morning there is a queue. I've got 3 opening all up, a single and a double. I just throw some scratch mix first thing and that takes the pressure off morning hunger feeding and the rest if the day they are fine.

I'm going to make this with double wye this week. My chicks are 5wks so I think I will make it with a 1-1/2" or 2" one.

Any pointers will be appreciated.
Hi. It sounds like you are new to chickens??

This PVC feeder works well for some people. I read about it last summer and tried it for my 5 chickens with a 4" pvc pipe. It worked, but I had to fill it all the time.

Then I found the "5 gallon bucket feeder" here at BYC. I made one and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. No waste, no water in the food (rain) and I only have to fill it about every 4 weeks. You can see plans for it by following the link in my signature line. It only cost $3 bucks to construct too!

Either way, hope you enjoy raising chickens!

No waste 5 gallon bucket feeder for $3:
http://goo.gl/V8RJLL

Last edited:
Hi. It sounds like you are new to chickens??

This PVC feeder works well for some people. I read about it last summer and tried it for my 5 chickens with a 4" pvc pipe. It worked, but I had to fill it all the time.

Then I found the "5 gallon bucket feeder" here at BYC. I made one and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. No waste, no water in the food (rain) and I only have to fill it about every 4 weeks. You can see plans for it by following the link in my signature line. It only cost $3 bucks to construct too!

Either way, hope you enjoy raising chickens!

No waste 5 gallon bucket feeder for $3:
http://goo.gl/V8RJLL

Yes I'm new and thanks for this great idea.
I'll use this for the big chickens once my coop is done. Right now using a small temporary coop that I made. Also looking for ideas for waterers but can't find where to buy the horizontal nipples. My chicks get pine shavings and poop in the water so much....

Yes I'm new and thanks for this great idea.
I'll use this for the big chickens once my coop is done. Right now using a small temporary coop that I made. Also looking for ideas for waterers but can't find where to buy the horizontal nipples. My chicks get pine shavings and poop in the water so much....

Funny you asked....................

You can get the horizontal from only one person on Ebay. Search "Horizontal Chicken Nipples". I think they are $13 for 5. They are WELL worth it.

If you check my signature line again you will see instructions how to make a waterer (5 gallons or smaller) for only a couple dollars. You can add heater and bubbler for $20 for the winter. Once again check my signature line.
5 gallon waterer (heated for winter too):
http://goo.gl/j50hYW

Currently my 10 day old chicks are using the vertical nipple in a water bottle. Works GREAT. I will convert them to the horizontal method in a couple weeks when I'm certain they can push the nipple in (it's harder to push).

ISA Brown drinking from the heated bucket waterer:

Horizontal nipple (orange) in lower corner of Wind fresh bucket. Next is the 90 degree elbow 5 gallon feed bucket.

Vertical Nipples in a juice bottle (About $2 shipped for 5 from China). They work well too, but I prefer the horizontal.

Hung with a piece of coat hanger wrapped around bottle. Black circle shows air hole so water will flow as they hit the nipple.

Last edited:
Funny you asked....................

You can get the horizontal from only one person on Ebay. Search "Horizontal Chicken Nipples". I think they are $13 for 5. They are WELL worth it.

If you check my signature line again you will see instructions how to make a waterer (5 gallons or smaller) for only a couple dollars. You can add heater and bubbler for $20 for the winter. Once again check my signature line.
5 gallon waterer (heated for winter too):
http://goo.gl/j50hYW

Currently my 10 day old chicks are using the vertical nipple in a water bottle. Works GREAT. I will convert them to the horizontal method in a couple weeks when I'm certain they can push the nipple in (it's harder to push).

ISA Brown drinking from the heated bucket waterer:

Horizontal nipple (orange) in lower corner of Wind fresh bucket. Next is the 90 degree elbow 5 gallon feed bucket.

Vertical Nipples in a juice bottle (About $2 shipped for 5 from China). They work well too, but I prefer the horizontal.

Hung with a piece of coat hanger wrapped around bottle. Black circle shows air hole so water will flow as they hit the nipple.

Wow! I love this and have seen the eBay supply you suggested... thanks a bunch. That's why I love this site people are so helpful.... I made the PVC feeder and modified so that I can add feed from outside. My chicks are in the garage due to the cold.. will make the watered with the 5 gallon so I only get in the coop less times. The entrance to the temp coop is small.

Thanks again..

Back
Top Bottom