Sinus infection photos

[COLOR=333333]I found a rooster with a nasty infected eye, but no other signs of respiratory infection, so I removed the pus as best as I could and set him free. Several days later the pus was back, so I did it again, but this time I was more aggressive and manged to get this out of his choanal slit:[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Cause of sinus infection was the foxtail. To get it out I had to apply pressure to the area between his nostril and his eye.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]This is a choanal slit - Photo by BYC's Nambroth[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]
What do you use to get things out of the choanal slit? I can see that my hen has buildup in there, but I do not want to hurt her?

I just found this thread and even though I don't think it is a sinus infection I really don't know how to help her. 2 days ago I made 1/2 inch incision in the bottom of the ?abscess and was able to get some purulent bloody stuff out as well as some chunky stuff ?pus. I irrigated it with a 50% beta dine solution, but couldn't get it back out so that didn't seem like a good idea. I can get the entire end of a cu-tip up in there. She tolerated it well. Yesterday I opened it back up after about 20 minutes of epsom salts soak. I couldn't get anything out. No blood, nothing. I swabbed the inside with a cu-tip with beta dine. She has been on oxytetracyline orally for 5 days as of today. She seems no better and no worse. No respiratory symptoms. Her ear is tender. I think her eye looks strange in the picture because of the flash. She is drinking and eating well, though swallowing seems to take some concentration for her. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I just found this thread and even though I don't think it is a sinus infection I really don't know how to help her. 2 days ago I made 1/2 inch incision in the bottom of the ?abscess and was able to get some purulent bloody stuff out as well as some chunky stuff ?pus. I irrigated it with a 50% beta dine solution, but couldn't get it back out so that didn't seem like a good idea. I can get the entire end of a cu-tip up in there. She tolerated it well. Yesterday I opened it back up after about 20 minutes of epsom salts soak. I couldn't get anything out. No blood, nothing. I swabbed the inside with a cu-tip with beta dine. She has been on oxytetracyline orally for 5 days as of today. She seems no better and no worse. No respiratory symptoms. Her ear is tender. I think her eye looks strange in the picture because of the flash. She is drinking and eating well, though swallowing seems to take some concentration for her. Any suggestions are appreciated.
What does the inside of her mouth look like, and is her are partially gray like the picture shows? -Kathy

@casportpony Here is the inside of her mouth. It is a bit more puffy than when I looked in there a couple of days ago, but I cannot see anything in there that shouldn't be there.

Last edited:
Hi Kathy, I am asking you first because you have been so kind to answer every, single question I have asked. My hen is still very sick. I'm trying to be positive and aY that the smell from her face is not as prominent? If I didn't state earlier, I'm almost positive she has Coryza. The ONLY reason I am trying to treat her to get her well is that she is my pet and I love her. I ordered the Baytril (not sure if it is as strong as prescription strength but I ordered from your site link) She wouldn't allow me to get down her beak, so I have put in her water. Then we ordered the Tylan 50. She pitched a fit trying to inject her in the neck, we need to try the breast muscle but we are scared we don't know what we are doing? I've been putting it in her food, but she isn't getting better fast enough to suit me. Her eye is still horrible! I have fought the urge to lance it, but I'm scared I will cut her eye (tried the needle extraction she jerks way too much) So she has now started scratching the swollen puss eye and she is bleeding from the inside of her eye now also. I can see the puss pocket showing through the corner of her eye where her eye ball is? Still has labored mouth breathing especially after eating? ANY advice is appreciated!! Thank you in advance :-/

Quote: The Baytril you ordered is prescription strength, but you will need to give it orally., not in water. Oral dosing instructions here:

Tylan injections are supposed to be given in the breast muscle, though some people do give the injections under the skin, and some people give it orally.
Some injection info here:

Can you post some pictures of her?

-Kathy

The Baytril you ordered is prescription strength, but you will need to give it orally., not in water. Oral dosing instructions here:

Tylan injections are supposed to be given in the breast muscle, though some people do give the injections under the skin, and some people give it orally.
Some injection info here:

Can you post some pictures of her?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom