Sled dog breeding

Yea I already know that. Bbut thank you. My first sled dogs are going to be puppy's. only if I can get another musher to take a few and train them while I'll train the other few. I might get 2 or I could get 6 it depends on how close the breeders litters are. Im going to 2-3 different breeders.

The one problem about this thread is everyone is thinking like pet and show dog owners and breeders not mushers. Mushing dogs are completely different from pet or show. It maybe the same breed, but they are different. For sled dogs they are just that... Dogs. You love them very much but they are still dogs. Pet dog owners have a really hard time understanding that sled dog dont go inside and sleep on the bed or curl up on the porch. They also have a hard time understanding why sled dogs are skinny. If a pet owner with a pet dog mindset walks into a dog yard, they would think mushers abuse dogs because they don't understand mushing dogs.

Last edited:
Yea I already know that. Bbut thank you. My first sled dogs are going to be puppy's. only if I can get another musher to take a few and train them while I'll train the other few. I might get 2 or I could get 6 it depends on how close the breeders litters are. Im going to 2-3 different breeders.

Personally I wouldn't start with puppies or yearlings. The fist dogs should be experienced adults or at Least 2. A pup and yearling are still growing and might get hurt plus they have a harder time listening

In sled dog yards all the dogs are on chains so you can move them if the don't get along. You still have fights every now and then but if you just scold and
Hit both the dogs who r fighting they usually back down

Hitting dogs can often make the problem worse. I don't hit my dogs and I get obedience. After those first few fights, the dogs have never fought again in my prescience, my husband however, does have fights break out around him. This is because I am the acknowledged alpha, once Fiona learned this is obeyed me. I can control my dogs with a look and word given at the right time, depending on circumstances, I was raised with large breed guard dogs my whole life. A boxer when I was a baby, a GSD when I was a child and preteen, a Rottie-Shar Pei mix as a teen/adult. I know how to project a calm, confinident manner that expects obedience to my dogs. Most of the time I get what I expect, and when I expected bad behavior I got it because I was in the wrong frame of mind. Dogs don't understand our language and often hitting a dog confuses them more. (And by hitting I mean contact designed to inflict harm) I have cuffed a dog that got out of line, but the contact was designed to get the dogs attention, not hurt or punish the dog. There is a big difference between a hit and a cuff. (I don't know which you ment when you said hit). A cuff should be delivered AS the dog is doing a bad behavior, not after. Dogs don't understand punishment after the fact, discipline is delivered as the infraction is happening.

Last edited:
The one problem about this thread is everyone is thinking like pet and show dog owners and breeders not mushers. Mushing dogs are completely different from pet or show. It maybe the same breed, but they are different. For sled dogs they are just that... Dogs. You love them very much but they are still dogs. Pet dog owners have a really hard time understanding that sled dog dont go inside and sleep on the bed or curl up on the porch. They also have a hard time understanding why sled dogs are skinny. If a pet owner with a pet dog mindset walks into a dog yard, they would think mushers abuse dogs because they don't understand mushing dogs.

I do understand the difference between working dogs and pet dogs. A working guard dog sleeps outside with his sheep or whatever he protects, a sled dog can be chained to prevent running away and fighting, or sleep in a barn or outbuilding in stalls, depending on the mushers. But regardless of it the dog is a pet or a working dog, all dogs think similarly. I have never seen a dog that was beaten ever turn out good, it either becomes viscous or it's spirit is broken. A dog whose trainer doesn't understand how to communicate what is desired to the dog never gets the dog fully trained.

My sib needs to be ran on a team, cuz I trained her to pull but I don't have the equipment to add weight on to her. She's a great dog to be in the team section. She won't lead and she can't do wheel.

My sib needs to be ran on a team, cuz I trained her to pull but I don't have the equipment to add weight on to her. She's a great dog to be in the team section. She won't lead and she can't do wheel.

From what I understand the lead dog is the smartest and most highly trained dog of the team. This dog is the alpha dog, and needs to be able to read trail conditions to keep the team on solid ground. Wheel dogs need to be strong as they are the dogs closest to the sled and their job is to help balance the sled while running at full speed. Both positions take years of training and dogs good at those jobs are very expensive.

I know that. I was just saying that about her because of the fact that I want to get my team as puppy's and train them my self. I know I should get adults but I want to get them as puppy's so they have a bigger bond to me, trust me more, and respect my dections better then getting adults.

Back
Top Bottom