Sled dog breeding

I know that. I was just saying that about her because of the fact that I want to get my team as puppy's and train them my self. I know I should get adults but I want to get them as puppy's so they have a bigger bond to me, trust me more, and respect my dections better then getting adults.

Those are good reasons for starting with pups. Other good reasons would be that you don't have to fix someone else's bad raising or handling of dogs. Fiona my rescue Rottie who will fight with Dawn and other dogs, cowers in fear when I cuff her. Please keep in mind I do NOT hit my dogs. Her response to being cuffed and disciplined makes me suspect that she was hit by her previous owners, she will always have those fears for the rest of her life. My rescued Siberian Sasha is absolutely terrified of water. Now, no matter how hot Sasah gets, she will not get in their stock tank to cool off, which can be dangerous in our 100 degree Texas summers. Rascal, when I first picked him up off the streets, turned out to be aggressive to men of a certain skin tone. He was weary of white men or black men, but Hispanic men or darkly tanned white men were instantly attacked. I spend a year heavily socializing him, now he is fine with all men. But these are problems that are not easy to fix. but when rescuing adult dogs, it's a risk you take. By getting young pups, you eliminate the risk that the dogs were badly handled and have bad traits because of it.

On the other hand, if you have never trained a team before you most likely will run into trouble training them properly. Since most of the dogs run in pairs except the lead dog, maybe get your dogs in pairs for training. This way you are not trying to train 6 puppies at once, which would lead to chaos as puppies are rambunctious and mischievous and having so many to train at once would leave you frustrated and angry. You could start with a pair of trained adult dogs. Or if you are completely against adults, a pair of yearling dogs, who are partially trained but young enough to still bond with you. Get them settled and working well, then get 2 pups to train. Having 2 trained adult dogs would help in training the pups. And done this way you would have a 5 dog team (including your current Siberian) in 2 years. Time for the pups to grow and fill out enough to pull. After the adults and first set of pups are trained, look for a potential lead dog, if the dog doesn't cut it as lead, pair it with your Sibe and look again for a lead dog. This is one way of many that you could get a team trained and running in 5 years or less without getting 6 puppies all at once.

Last edited:
If I get all 6 at one time I know a musher who might help, I'll check first that way I'm not training all 6, and if they can't ill get my girls first unless I can get my pair at one time. I'm thinking about vizslas, GSP, and sibs. It all depends thought

Hitting dogs can often make the problem worse. I don't hit my dogs and I get obedience. After those first few fights, the dogs have never fought again in my prescience, my husband however, does have fights break out around him. This is because I am the acknowledged alpha, once Fiona learned this is obeyed me. I can control my dogs with a look and word given at the right time, depending on circumstances, I was raised with large breed guard dogs my whole life. A boxer when I was a baby, a GSD when I was a child and preteen, a Rottie-Shar Pei mix as a teen/adult. I know how to project a calm, confinident manner that expects obedience to my dogs. Most of the time I get what I expect, and when I expected bad behavior I got it because I was in the wrong frame of mind. Dogs don't understand our language and often hitting a dog confuses them more. (And by hitting I mean contact designed to inflict harm) I have cuffed a dog that got out of line, but the contact was designed to get the dogs attention, not hurt or punish the dog. There is a big difference between a hit and a cuff. (I don't know which you ment when you said hit). A cuff should be delivered AS the dog is doing a bad behavior, not after. Dogs don't understand punishment after the fact, discipline is delivered as the infraction is happening.

1st I ment hit. Like open palm to the butt or side when they are fighting if they don't stop when u tell them too.
2nd I know how to punish dogs. I use physical punishment when they don't obey the verbal command after 2 attempts. If I say gee And the dog doesn't turn right then I stop the sled and say "(insert dogs name), gee!" And if he doesn't turn, I go up to him drag him by the collar where he need to go and say "gee" and point. Then have him wait there, go back to the sled and continue the trail.

3rd you still thinking in a pet dog mind set, not a mushers.

If he won't turn no matter what you ask take him out of lead and put in swing. Work with him one on one. If he has lead well before, he may just be having an off day. You have to switch positions of the dogs every now and then or they will bored and tried of that place and not want to run

Yes. Those become pet dogs. Some dogs aren't made to run. If that's not what they were born to do like with hunting or herding dogs then 2 thing happen 1 you need to teach them to love it or 2 don't run them. My labs love to run but they had to learn to love it. For dogs that won't run keep them as pets, sell them or give them a job they love. My border collie won't run but he likes to chase us and try to herd my lab and meringue when I'm running them

Back
Top Bottom