Smoky Mtn East TN

Good.. so know to ask locals then on here about buying eggs or chicks when my eye candy yard birds go broody.
Yep, just lemme know... should have fertile eggs this next season when roos go back in for breeding.
Here's a pic of one of this year's chicks at 6 weeks.... not a good quality pic, but you get the idea about how their color is developing. I've been really pleased with these chicks, they have excellent color, nice big brick shape, nice top line and tail set.

frow.gif
Well, hello neighbor! Welcome to the thread. I am in Church Hill, TN. I moved from Kingsport 2 yrs ago. I hate to sound bad, but have you checked the ordinances in Kingsport? We were told you cannot have chickens inside the city limits...they are considered farm animals. Maybe (and hopefully) that has changed for you. I was down in the Fort Robinson area, and that was considered a historic section of Kingsport, so maybe that made the difference. I am sure these folks can point you in the right direction for Orps.

Again, welcome to the thread.
smile.png

Well haven't checked the ordinances but we just bought some copper maran pullets which are suppose to be all hens ( maybe no one will know ). Worst case we will have to put them on my dads farm in rogersville

@redridge, do your heritage RC RIR go broody and how often if so (as here differant lines vary)? how much would/do you sell your old layers (two to three hens and a cock), chicks and hatching eggs? i wouldn't probly be getting real soon, as have to see what if anything will come from: 3. Golden "orps" (maybe mutts and one or two cockrels), two white silkie or sultan mixes (bitties size of my OEGB pullets, one is laying). possibly finding home for one porcelain probable hen and one mille d feur definite cock, belgum d' uccles, as the definate cock been making bitty crowing in apt was in even, since march, and been trying to mate other for months now, but the one doesn't lay but so sweet (figured if someone wanted small child's pretty pets and wanted safe space savers. getting tired of only getting eggs from one silkie mutt ect (dont have V comb as others bit off), and one black OEG.. and they've been laying and hiding them in neighbors barn recent, staying gone till night when lock them in when feed.

Last edited:
I purchased this Underwood line specifically for several reasons... potential broodiness being one. Correctness in type and color, true dual purpose, and longevity being important also, as I'd rather have a 10 yr hen who is still laying regularly than a 3 yr old who is slacking off already.

I have not had any luck with any of my production layers being very broody - which I why I keep a few Belgian Bearded d'Uccles (they go broody all the time and I use them for live incubators).

So... shorter answer is... I'll letcha know. My HRIR are not laying yet... I have 20 and believe I have about 10 cockerels and 10 pullets... so we'll see... I'll be curious to see what that answer is too.
wink.png

The Belgium D' uccles as great broodies? maybe i have palm top version then, as i don't know if mine could cover more than a medium egg. think it'd do any good to try to breed a cockrel to possible mix breed layer? only "orp" i know is hen is just common looking one/s you see on most feeds ect, beautiful hardy and tough but calm, probly just a barnyard mutt, small layer type looking compared to the three other "orps" my gma bought from flea market for two or three dollars apiece with it.

Last edited:
My d'Uccles are small but make great broodies. Muccle, my oldest d'Uccle, sat on a clutch of 7 Orpington x RIR eggs. She can spread out and keep em warm when she wants to. She is a good momma. Looks funny with those buff chicks running around with her.

Ooh.. i need to see pics of foster d' uccle mamma with standard size chicks! gives me hope my little bdb (bunson de-beaker), as heavy food feathering of them makes me think of muppets bopping around, can be helpful round here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom