Smoky Mtn East TN

ok folks, I have asked in 3 places and not really gotten answers anywhere....I need help.

I have a few young boys that I need to define a color for. They are Seramas, and for those that don't know.....they can't really be color bred as they carry the entire color wheel. BUT....for showing, we have to "pick a color they are closest to" as of this year. So what color/variety would you class this fellow?? He looks blue?....?barred?, ?cuckoo?, ?mottled?, ?crele?....what?
idunno.gif
He is off my Best of Breed roo from Newport, so I really would like to show him. For any genetics buffs, his mother was black and his dad was very close to a brassy back. Dad does carry the chocolate gene, as I have 2 pullets that are chocolate. So, tell me what you guys think.

Meet Tucker, 4mths old. He and his brother got into a scuffle and that is the reason for the marks on his comb. They are separated now and Tucker has been put into his harem pen. He hates a camera and wanted to run back to his girls or he has a better stance than these shots show. His younger brother is much the same but has some red in his saddle and hackles. Any advice is welcome. Thx!!

ok folks, I have asked in 3 places and not really gotten answers anywhere....I need help.

I have a few young boys that I need to define a color for. They are Seramas, and for those that don't know.....they can't really be color bred as they carry the entire color wheel. BUT....for showing, we have to "pick a color they are closest to" as of this year. So what color/variety would you class this fellow?? He looks blue?....?barred?, ?cuckoo?, ?mottled?, ?crele?....what?
idunno.gif
He is off my Best of Breed roo from Newport, so I really would like to show him. For any genetics buffs, his mother was black and his dad was very close to a brassy back. Dad does carry the chocolate gene, as I have 2 pullets that are chocolate. So, tell me what you guys think.

Meet Tucker, 4mths old. He and his brother got into a scuffle and that is the reason for the marks on his comb. They are separated now and Tucker has been put into his harem pen. He hates a camera and wanted to run back to his girls or he has a better stance than these shots show. His younger brother is much the same but has some red in his saddle and hackles. Any advice is welcome. Thx!!

Sorry but I can't help with color at all. Good luck!

frow.gif
haven't been on much lately; just mainly popping in on another thread. Plus the inability to post pics has taken some of the fun out of the site (I may eventually get it fixed). I hope everyone has a happy and safe 4th.

I also wanted to mention I was in the TSC in Jefferson City and if I remember correctly they are having a swap on July 13th. I didn't see or don't remember the hours. Just thought I would post it here in case anyone is interested.

One final thing: I have 5-6 cockerels all hatched on or around Easter. All but one are LF Orpingtons and he is an OE. If anyone is interested let me know. I may take them to the swap and see if I can get rid of them. The Orps have some English in them and come from some nice quality stock. I don't really want to raise them up and eat them and my MIL backed out of taking them.

Well apparently I'm not getting any BYC notifications/mail at all since last on..

Cute mille d feur/mixed with porcelain( ?) belgium d uccle! Hope mine starts laying consistently and chicks develope that pretty of coloring.

Bought some red crosses and traded orps for bunch more, along with new hamshire and rhode island reds, so hope some get to laying soon and rest get up to age. got a pair of muscovy ducks a year old and duck was supposedly starting to lay, and got egg that was in pen with her, along with dozen eggs in homade bator from another seemed supposed ready to hatch (as were abandoned and cold for day or two but i opened one and almost ready to hatch duckling was alive inside), and hopefully alive in make shift bator.

i got young pullet game hen i wouldn't mind having roo for (got her with a true araucana cockerel supposedly now, though maybe hen after all).

Last edited:
Well kittens got playing and broke bator lamp in middle of that night, so used heating pad and accidentally cooked them.. :,(

my muscovie ducks are caring seeming for their egg, moistening ect, but not setting it or laying any more.

Well female duck laid an egg, so I'm in muscovy ducks now! they tamed down so quick and are so clean and quiet ect everything all around compared to my chickens, that thought if had to choose im not sure if id choose chooks! the duck side claims another soul.. they are seeming even. and maybe better than games for eating even loads of tiny: ants termites fleas flies gnats and "skeeters" (Yankee slang). as they suck them out of soil water and air.

Last edited:
I have a couple of Rhodebar cockerels I am going to part with. Double barred, true autosexed. They are 7 weeks old. These boys are an excellent opportunity to put over some nice RIR to begin a Rhodebar breeding program. PM me if interested.

Just stopping in to hope everyone is surviving the heat. We are expanding my main 8x8 coop to 8x16 with outside nest boxes. I have 50 chicks hatched out this year. So I have a good head start to rebuilding flock.. Hope everyone is having a good summer.

Well wasps are seeming to attack and causing deaths of my large young game pullet, old Americana hen, and temp sick of all Americanas (the OEGB pullets seem able to not be bothered when eat them, same as scovy ducks), when penned up. Anyone know good way to trap and kill all these wasps?i had one orange one that attacked me trying to get right in my closed mouth!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom