Somebody shot my rooster in head with BB gun-need urgent advice please!

You should consider getting a trail camera. I have one outside the coop keeping watch so I can see what is going on when I am not around. That's how I know a bobcat was coming around last spring (this camera is mounted on the coop, and I have another one looking at the coop) You'll be very surprised at what wildlife is around! I have a Browning model that cost less than $90. Knowing what you are up against is half the battle.

thomasboyle, could you give me the website where you got this camera? I'm interested in purchasing one. Thanks!

offtheleash, sorry about your rooster. I didn't read all posts, so I hope things are better for you.

Try making a pretty thin slurry with scrambled egg starter and water with vitamins and electrolytes mine when injured from a hawk seem to loveit and they get their liquids without drinking just boring water. Put it in a bowl on the counter and dip his beak in it without lowering his head too much

He just had an egg from my newest hen, 2nd one she's laid, and it was fertile...

That was the easiest thing by far that I've fed him, but it was raw, with the dropper.

He's sleeping now in my arms.

thomasboyle, could you give me the website where you got this camera? I'm interested in purchasing one. Thanks!

offtheleash, sorry about your rooster. I didn't read all posts, so I hope things are better for you.

I got my camera from Amazon. Here is a website that reviews cameras, you can see all of the different models and pick the best one for you. I have a Primos Truth 35 Ultra and a Browning BTC 1. Go to www.trailcampro.com. They review all of the cameras, and you can buy from them as well. You can spend up to $500 or more on a camera, but I wanted a top rated budget model for $90 or so. If I were buying another camera, I would get a Browning BTC 2. Same price as the BTC 1 with a few more features.

He just had an egg from my newest hen, 2nd one she's laid, and it was fertile...

That was the easiest thing by far that I've fed him, but it was raw, with the dropper.

He's sleeping now in my arms.

In my experience, small animals can astonish you by their will to live if you give them just a little bit of affection. Some people may disagree with me, but I feel he appreciates and understands your doting on him.

Me too, he seems to be very content tonight in the house!

I hate I had to put him back in his bed but I had so many chores to take care of, especially since I've fallen behind.

I gave him his asprin dose and as much egg as he could he could eat, and he went right back asleep.

I'm learning in this process, and hoping for the best!

I got my camera from Amazon. Here is a website that reviews cameras, you can see all of the different models and pick the best one for you. I have a Primos Truth 35 Ultra and a Browning BTC 1. Go to www.trailcampro.com. They review all of the cameras, and you can buy from them as well. You can spend up to $500 or more on a camera, but I wanted a top rated budget model for $90 or so. If I were buying another camera, I would get a Browning BTC 2. Same price as the BTC 1 with a few more features.
Thank you! I'll look into it.

Thank you!

Yesterday was better than Friday. He stayed with the flock all day and he's starting to walk around, which is hard to watch because he's completely blind.

He only had one dropper of fluids yesterday also which concerns me. He's getting stubborn now that he's getting stronger,

I made some mixed veggies and gave them to the flock which caused a frenzy, and Ricky was trying so hard to find what they were eating. We even tried holding it up to his face, no go.

I will update again later and thanks again for the encouragement!

Good evening,

First things first, my husband changed who Ricky is named after.

Instead of after Rick James, it's now Rick Grimes on the Walking Dead because he looks like he went a round with the Governor.

This am I let the flock out, picked Rick up, and could see movement under his eyelid that's not that bad. I took him to the house and held a warm compress to it and softened it, and it's just matted feathers and puss. After much work the eye was finally exposed.

There still a lot of work to be done on the eye, but I didn't want to push it. One time today, he flinched when I was on that side.

Jake is also helping my hold his mouth open bc he's getting so stubborn about eating, even though he's not eating on his own. I'm whipping Ethel's eggs for him plus liquid fermented food.

He was acting very tired this afternoon so I tried to bring him inside to let him rest in peace in his box, but as soon as I put him in, he flipped out, so he's definately feeling better, thank God!

We've both been praying for this bird!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom