South Carolina

Quote:
They are so beautiful and happy looking! You spoil them so much. I am betting you have little stockings on their cage, too.
wink.png

I can't wait to see them color in. Pretty, pretty!

Quote:
Yes but you can Google it and find information on that as well

Well, I did google it and I think I have 2 males. They show the spot on the head for pullets to be very round and the cockerels to be more starred. I think mine are starred. The legs come in to play also but I have nothing to compare to there but each other--and their legs are pretty much the same color. I guess even if I get 2 cockerel I have a start. I could even get hatchery pullets to breed to them if I can not get anything else. Time will tell....
he.gif

John, I have been looking at some BYC threads on the Dominique sexing subject and now I am confused. If the chick has dark coloring down the front of the leg they are saying hen, but if the spot on top is large and starred they are saying rooster. Well, my chicks have dark mottling color on the front of the legs--I actually noticed this when I first saw them hatch--but their spot on the top of their head is large and starred. I think I will have to wait and see on this one. They both have pretty flat, smooth combs.
idunno.gif

Quote:
Well, I did google it and I think I have 2 males. They show the spot on the head for pullets to be very round and the cockerels to be more starred. I think mine are starred. The legs come in to play also but I have nothing to compare to there but each other--and their legs are pretty much the same color. I guess even if I get 2 cockerel I have a start. I could even get hatchery pullets to breed to them if I can not get anything else. Time will tell....
he.gif

John, I have been looking at some BYC threads on the Dominique sexing subject and now I am confused. If the chick has dark coloring down the front of the leg they are saying hen, but if the spot on top is large and starred they are saying rooster. Well, my chicks have dark mottling color on the front of the legs--I actually noticed this when I first saw them hatch--but their spot on the top of their head is large and starred. I think I will have to wait and see on this one. They both have pretty flat, smooth combs.
idunno.gif

Hmm, now that does sound kinda weird. Guess you're right, we'll just have to take note of what they look like now and then again as they grow up!

I could not resist. I am amazed by how tiny they are, and had to post a picture of the newly hatched quail babies. Or at least a picture of 5 of the 6- one already has a super star attitude and walked to the other side of the incubator mumbling something about no pictures...

83611_quail_babies.jpg

CUTE!
lol.png
yuckyuck.gif

Heidi!!!! Just letting you know, I'm winning the Dom bid that is due to end Sunday...keep your fingers crossed for me!!
smile.png
fl.gif
fl.gif

Here are some pics I snapped yesterday! and a link to a video!
72213_20111215164858.jpg

72213_20111215165402.jpg

Video:

Last edited:
We had some Dominiques from a hatchery. They were supposed to be pullets but it was obvious that one was a different color than the others. Can't remember if it was lighter or darker but you could tell from a few weeks old. Turns out it was a he! Because I had both sexes, you could tell a difference. Don't know if that helps or not!

Back
Top Bottom