South Carolina

Will the barring from his father pass down to some of the chicks possibly or do both have to be barred for it to show
Barring is caused by a dominant gene. So if one parent shows barring, they can have chicks that show barring. A rooster can show barring but also carry the gene for not-barred. In that case, he would give barring to about half his chicks but not to all of them.

If your rooster inherited barring from his father, then he can give it to his own chicks. If he did not inherit barring, he cannot give it to his chicks.

Looking at the picture, I cannot tell for sure whether he has barring or not. If you breed him to the Black Australorp hen and hatch a bunch of chicks, you should be able to figure it out. Look for black chicks with or without white barring. Either none will have barring, or all will have barring, or there will be some each way.

I found out his father is Crele and his mother white Australop
You had a different thread asking what chicks to expect from that combination:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/cross.1610685/
If he is from that mating, then it's pretty clear what to expect in future: more like him.

Thanks a lot I can’t wait till my girls are old enough to start laying one is a buff Orpington and the other an Australop I got them mid December. I have a rooster but I’m not sure what breed he is and I want to keep there eggs and chicks as close to the same breed as possible I’ve thought about breeding them to him to what kind of colors I get out of them what are your thoughts as to what they would produce and what kind of rooster he could be?
Georgeous rooster

I had to learn about barring to understand what you guys were talking about. For anyone else who needs it: https://hobbypoultry.com/barred-gene-use-in-chickens/
That page makes my head hurt because it is badly organized, and it has quite a lot of errors.

For example, it mixed "autosexing" and "sexlinks" in one paragraph, although a later paragraph correctly identifies that autosexing chickens breed true while sexlinks do not. It never does tell how to sex the autosexing chickens (males have more white than females, and overall lighter color.)

Slow feathering produces crisper barring, while fast feathering makes fuzzier barring ("cuckoo"), but the article has that backward.

When it lists the gene symbols for barred chickens, it gets one wrong. Correct would be: barred male with two barring genes B,B
barred male with one barring gene B,b+
barred female, B,-
(The non-barred forms would be b+,b+ for males and b+,- for females)

In the section about breeding results, this bit has trouble:
"Breeding a double gene barring rooster to a solid hen will give you the result of having the most barred offspring."
The double-barred male will give a barring gene to every chick he sires, no matter whether the hen has barring or not. So their statement would only be correct if they wanted offspring with just one copy of the barring gene and not two copies (and if that is what they mean, they should have said so.)

If anyone else needs to know about the barring gene, you could try one of my posts in another thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ghost-barring-question.1610628/page-3#post-27475273

That page makes my head hurt because it is badly organized, and it has quite a lot of errors.

For example, it mixed "autosexing" and "sexlinks" in one paragraph, although a later paragraph correctly identifies that autosexing chickens breed true while sexlinks do not. It never does tell how to sex the autosexing chickens (males have more white than females, and overall lighter color.)

Slow feathering produces crisper barring, while fast feathering makes fuzzier barring ("cuckoo"), but the article has that backward.

When it lists the gene symbols for barred chickens, it gets one wrong. Correct would be: barred male with two barring genes B,B
barred male with one barring gene B,b+
barred female, B,-
(The non-barred forms would be b+,b+ for males and b+,- for females)

In the section about breeding results, this bit has trouble:
"Breeding a double gene barring rooster to a solid hen will give you the result of having the most barred offspring."
The double-barred male will give a barring gene to every chick he sires, no matter whether the hen has barring or not. So their statement would only be correct if they wanted offspring with just one copy of the barring gene and not two copies (and if that is what they mean, they should have said so.)

If anyone else needs to know about the barring gene, you could try one of my posts in another thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ghost-barring-question.1610628/page-3#post-27475273
Thank you. Sometimes one doesn't know what they don't know

Thank you. Sometimes one doesn't know what they don't know
Yes, that is a problem when you are trying to learn something new: you don't yet know enough to recognize the accurate sources. By the time you do know enough, you don't need the sources as much!

I've also been caught that way, too many times to count :)

Back
Top Bottom