South Carolina

OK so we all knew my BIG DANGEROUS ROTTWEILER is really a chicken( scared ) but he confirmed it this morning when he started helping the girls sing the egg song!
lau.gif

If he lays and egg I am calling guiness.....and it better be BLUE!! LOL ( I LOVE SOME BLUE EGGS)

Last edited:
Quote:
That might not be the case but if you weren't having problems before buying the feed store chicks then you have to think......right? I did the same thing last year. I bought some really cute little chicks at TSC (my son saw them and HAD to have some). Brought them home and put them in a brooder with a few that I had hatched and all of a sudden I started losing chicks daily. Lost all but one of the TSC chicks and several of my own. It wasn't Cocci, not sure what it was but still I have to be more careful. It's easy to forget. Also, we have to remember when ordering chicks from a hatchery if we have them vaccinated for Marek's or whatever they should NOT be put with unvaccinated chicks. Just a reminder to myself. I order Oxine online wherever I can get the best price. As far as I know, nobody stocks it here in our area.

Ladies and gents I got a quick question. I was just given a half bag of deer corn, it's whole kernal, can I feed this to my birds as is or should I pa boil it to soften the corn first. I do not have a way to crack the corn here and it to small a quantity to bother with to have someone else do it. Thanks for any help. Donald

If your birds have had access to grit or dirt then giving them the whole corn is best. Once corn has been cracked, or any grain for that matter, it loses it's nutritional factor as it dries out. If your birds are large fowl then they will do fine by eating it whole and benefit from it so much more. I have seen Seramas grab up a whole piece of corn and swallow it down though so they do not have to be LF only.

I would, however, dole it out sparingly so none is wasted. They eat only so much at one time and it is a rather warm food. I usually give mine a bit before bedtime so they can use it all night and it can give them a full crop for the night.

Quote:
Lark, don't give up! I raised those Polish this summer and had a horrible time with them and cocci! Some birds are more susceptible than others but once you get a good strain of cocci going it is a nightmare! Look at it this way, the birds you get through this will be very hardy! Keep building their strength with some good protein--with the Polish I started feeding them scrambled eggs every other day and a little canned cat food the opposite days. I also gave them some whole milk from time to time since I had it then for my daughter. I think you are on the right track with the puppy food. Remember dry dog and cat food is higher in salt, so use it sparingly. I bet with that and the Oxine you will see a difference. And make sure you keep their area where they eat as dry as possible! They can go out in to a wet area to forage but the area you have their feeder should be dry and as clean from dropping as possible. I try to keep clean, dry sand around my feeders. If any feed gets wet in feeder or on the ground I remove it.

Hope this all helps! Remember cocci occurs in nature in wild birds too. If your pens are around trees or other places wild birds hang out they can bring cocci into your flock. Please keep us informed on how things go and if you have any questions we are always on here to help!!

Oh, I forgot the greens--I also purchased some dark greens for my birds that were have the most trouble. Greens like Endive, Romaine Lettuce, and spinach--this was because I was not letting these birds out to graze. And don't for get the squash!!

Last edited:
Joy, here she/he is, can you tell anything from this picture? It is the only one I took that turned out. It actually makes the little guy look lighter than it is.
61794_cimg1431.jpg

Also, here are the 2 dominique chicks I hatched out of 15 eggs. I know these pictures are not the best but I had limited time this morning to take them. You can sure see the spot on the head! These are really pretty little chicks!
61794_cimg1429.jpg

61794_cimg1428.jpg

I know its blurry, but by looking at the headspots, in my opinion, I think you got a pair!!
big_smile.png
You can google it and look here on BYC to find the particulars about sexing according the the leg color, head spots, and beak color. Basically females are darker (down, beak, legs) with a well defined headspot and males are lighter.

Back
Top Bottom