South Carolina

OK this is an EE--love the colors. Boy or girl? I have had the hardest time catching pictures of the bird! I have not heard it cock a doodle do yet. Again it does seem my prettiest birds keep turning out to be boys!!! You might not be able to tell from these pictures.

Here are some pics of my babies ... my 2 week bantams.

My cochin that is certainly the ring leader. It does not have tail feathers--is that normal for cochins?

My self blue old english named Special because she IS special!

This one has a comb already!
The babies are cute.The EE hard to tell, hope it a female.

Y'all!!! I am so sad!!! I went out this morning and all 4 of my pullets were gone. It looked like the kids did not close the coop all the way last night. I called and called and only one of my babies has returned. I found evidence in the yard that does not bode well for at least one of the missing three. There is a huge owl that lives in a tree next door. I have gone to the hardware store and bought a huge lock that I can put a padlock on, so no more leaving the coop door open. My oldest confessed that he didn't remember shutting it all the way after he did the nightly treat feed. Absolutely no evidence of a creature invasion other than the door left open. I am sad. He is extremely upset. Looks like I am going to be in the market for 3 more birds. I am thinking Easter Egger, Silver Laced Wyandotte, and possibly a lavender or blue orpington. Anyone have any leads on some pullets??? Willing to drive a couple hours from Columbia. :(

so sorry
hugs.gif
I put a screen door spring on mine in addition to the latch. I don't trust myself, and it makes it easier with full hands if the door self closes. I still have to remember to latch it, but less chance of an accident/catastrophy.

RobertH

so sorry
hugs.gif
I put a screen door spring on mine in addition to the latch. I don't trust myself, and it makes it easier with full hands if the door self closes. I still have to remember to latch it, but less chance of an accident/catastrophy.

RobertH
Screen door springs here too...but as you said...still have to remember to latch them..Sooo sorry for any losses there! I hope more turned up! I have had varmints taking mine one at a time recently too! No matter how careful you can be - these varmints find ways to outsmart the best of us!!! GRRRRR
somad.gif

Yeah. It was definately the kids who left it open and the chickens got out. I really wish that my very favorite, Maude, would come home. She was suuuuch a love bug. Poor Peggy is freaking out. I brought her inside and sat her on my lap for a good our while she just rested and slept. I am just heart broken! I called and called for at least 3 hours today. Ugh.

Hey folks, I'm looking for Delawares - does anyone here breed or have them? They don't need to be particularly great strains, I'm just hoping to avoid ordering from hatcheries. I don't have the resources/supplies to hatch my own but would happily buy chicks, juveniles or adults (preferably that would breed and set).
Hi, I'm not sure how you feel about the jockey lot, but i saw two beautiful ones this weekend. The "chicken man" had them.

Last edited:
Are you located in or near the CSRA, Augusta, GA/Aiken, SC metro area? Do you want to have an active role where you "Encourage, Promote, Protect, & Advance the interest in hobby farming"?? Then you should look into joining our NONPROFIT: Hobby Farmers Association of the CSRA. We concern ourselves with everything from gardening and goats, to chickens, cows, rabbits, ducks, & aquaponics (raising fish). All membership dues and donations are TAX DEDUCTIBLE. Membership is open to any hobby/backyard farmer or gardener, full- or part-time farmer, and anyone else wanting and willing to help others and themselves become more self-sufficient.

Why should you join HFA of the CSRA?
1. Discounts at select feed stores
2. Support from local farming communities
3. Discounts at HFA sponsored events
4. Unlimited learning opportunities
5. Legislative support and protection

What have we accomplished?
1. Farm/Animal sitting
2. Livestock predator control and removal
3. Building projects
4. Animal heath recovery

How much is a membership?