Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Hey guys from long island ( east Hampton ) looking to get about 6 pullets, would prefer one or two breeds max . Anyone have anyone they are trying to unload just egg layers for pets

Hi! I’m from westchester, NY. I’m looking to rehome 2 polish cockrel chicks. 4 weeks old. Very unique and beautiful colors. Can not buy these from any hatchery or “shop” We hatched the eggs and they came from a reputable NPIP farm. One is a cuckoo polish and the other a blue Andalusian polish. Pure breeds
Anyone ???

Most of the New Yorkers on the forum are either from central, western or way upstate, NY. I'm looking to start a thread with those of us from the southern zone. Figure there might be a few of us chickenheads this far downstate. I'm in Putnam county and thought by starting from Dutchess county to all points south, we should be able to get some backyarders here to chat it up a bit.

Most of us in the lower tier have our own unique set of circumstances. Things like; smaller lots, restrictions, access to feeds and supplies, and weather patterns that are different from other parts of the state could bring us all together to help each other.

So, I'm starting this thread off to see if there is any interest within the forum members from this neck of the woods.

Hope you will join in and make this an active thread whereby we all can benefit. It would be nice to share a few laughs, shed a few tears, and try to figure out how to make it work from the place where upstate begins (according to NYC folks,) down to where the traffic gets way too heavy.

Thanks,
ChickenAl

We are getting quite a few friends on this thread and it is not easy to keep track of everyone's first name. So, we are adding this list of BYC nicknames (for those who want to be added) with first names next to them;

Smkchick - Suzanne
ChickenAl - Al
Magsrags - Maggie
chickendude - Rich
Thespoiledchicken - Trish
Luvmy33chicks - Justine
mjuenem - Mark
Carolyn252 - Carolyn
Hi! I’m from we
Hi Marianne, we have 3 Golden Comets and 3 Amber Links. They are almost 16 weeks old and they are great with being not too noisy, as well as being early layers. They can lay as early as 15 weeks so we are getting excited to see the first egg.

How do you like the Nature's best? I switched ours to it a few weeks ago and the girls love it much better than the Green Mountain pellets. They look healthier too with less feather loss. I also use Farmer's Helper forage blocks with ultraKibble in it.

Hope you find a solution for the loud one. I had originally thought of BOs as they are a very gentle breed and should be excellent for you. We did not want our birds so large so we settled for the GCs and ALs. Also, having them color sexed guaranteed we were getting female chicks. It was fun raising them from those little balls of fluff that grew in front of our eyes. My wife could not believe they could grow so quickly. One day to the next and they looked like different birds. Simply amazing.

Our Agway only carries the Green Mountain. I'll have to ask if they can get it as they are closer than our present supplier.

I am considering Countryside Organics feed. They have a distributor in Brooklyn, but I would have to pick it up as they do not ship and it is a loooong drive from where we live. So for now, the only way to get it is to have it shipped from Virginia. Don't like the shipping costs so I may stick with the Nature's Best.

Have a good 4th.

Al

Attachments

• 953320DC-0020-42A1-9687-CA2A8978A225.jpeg
    953320DC-0020-42A1-9687-CA2A8978A225.jpeg
    334.2 KB · Views: 11
  • AC215AE9-DB1D-409B-8C15-5CF4749CFB86.jpeg
    AC215AE9-DB1D-409B-8C15-5CF4749CFB86.jpeg
    454.5 KB · Views: 12
Hi! I’m from westchester, NY. I’m looking to rehome 2 polish cockrel chicks. 4 weeks old. Very unique and beautiful colors. Can not buy these from any hatchery or “shop” We hatched the eggs and they came from a reputable NPIP farm. One is a cuckoo polish and the other a blue Andalusian polish. Pure breeds
Anyone ???

Hi! I’m from we

Wish they were candy corn polish. I have to candy corn polish hens looking for a rooster. Had any luck rehoming them?

The blue one still needs a home. He’s so beautiful looks like a watercolor painting ❤️

Attachments

• 6F047BAA-4BFA-449F-A4AC-AF40736177B1.jpeg
    6F047BAA-4BFA-449F-A4AC-AF40736177B1.jpeg
    439.8 KB · Views: 12
Hello, fellow Long Islanders and surrounding areas.
I haven't been on this site in months and months. I just heard about a relatively new breed and am thinking about getting two point-of-lay or started pullets: WhitingTrueBlue. They lay blue eggs, but they grown chickens come in a wide variety of feather colors. I entered a wish-list request at MurrayMcMurray for two started pullets, as they don't have any available for sale at this time. If you know of any, please let me know. (Have to have received the Mareks vaccine when they were day old chicks.) Thanks!

Carolyn 252, I am with you. It has been almost a year and a half since I have been on here. From Ridge, Long Island. My 21 girls are doing very well. Losing some of my original flock from 4 years ago - to be expected. We now have Royal Palm turkeys as well. We keep them separate from the chickens. We have had two clutches of poults from them. I just wish it would stop raining already. My gardens are so behind. Hope everyone is doing well.

Hi Jerseyhen !!
I've been gone a few years because I couldn't resist chicken math, don't know if you remember me. I gave you the cream leggbars.
Anyways I'm back because we are finally moving - to a mini farm near Ocala Florida. I can have more chickens soon !!!!
So I'm back because I don't have to resist temptation or worry about getting into trouble with the town anymore

Back
Top Bottom