Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

They are not bantam, but legbars and wheaten ameraucanas are pretty small birds. The legbars I have can't be 3.5 lbs soaking wet. 

In that case if you have two or three more than you need I would love to add to my small flock.
My girls have really done extremely well this winter. I didn't close the door to their coop so they had access to their run (which is covered half with wood and half with plexiglass for more light). I stopped closing their door when they were locked out of the coop one night. They were roosting up on the higher perch in their run and we didnt see them there. Lol They did hunker down and stop laying when it was really cold but now they are talking to me again. Very cute. I didn't have to coddle them at all. They are very winter hardy birds. I hope they like the heat as much!
I loved your "Spring my ... Donkey" poster!

3 Buff Orps and 3 Black Australorps. Right now we really only have room for the 6 of them so I hope I don't fall prey to the dreaded "chicken math"!
Just wait.
lau.gif

Right now I've got 6 chickens disguised as 14 chickens.
hide.gif

Good to know. By the way, I am hatching out grandchickies in the easter hatch. If I get a female legbar chick, would you like one? I am setting mostly eggs from the legbars and the wheaten ameraucanas you sent here. Some will be pure legbar, some will be easter eggers (legbars and ams covered by my brahma). Pretty eggs no matter what. I hope they hatch. The last time I set eggs from the ams they all stopped at about 10 days. All the other eggs in the bator at that hatch did well, so it wasn't hatching conditions. We shall see! 
I wish I could have grand babies but we are busy fixing up the place to put it up for sale. Hopefully by next spring we will be out of here and I can have all the chicks I want :)

Just wait.
lau.gif

Right now I've got 6 chickens disguised as 14 chickens.
hide.gif
I find that if they are all out scattered and free ranging no one can tell how many there are. I mean, seriously, I have trouble counting them when they are asleep on the roost. Then again, 30 - 50 at any given time has that effect. We were only going to get 4 - 6 for eggs... yeah, right.

In that case if you have two or three more than you need I would love to add to my small flock.
My girls have really done extremely well this winter. I didn't close the door to their coop so they had access to their run (which is covered half with wood and half with plexiglass for more light). I stopped closing their door when they were locked out of the coop one night. They were roosting up on the higher perch in their run and we didnt see them there. Lol They did hunker down and stop laying when it was really cold but now they are talking to me again. Very cute. I didn't have to coddle them at all. They are very winter hardy birds. I hope they like the heat as much!
I loved your "Spring my ... Donkey" poster!
I would be happy to provide you with a chick or two, provided I get some. You know the old adage about chickens and eggs and hatching and the like. I am setting a 'bator full of eggs tomorrow at 12 though for the easter hatch along!

I find chickens to be pretty weather hardy as long as they are dry. I have a lone rooster in a tractor and he did very well this winter. In fact, he looks so good I was thinking of showing him at the spring show.

I wish I could have grand babies but we are busy fixing up the place to put it up for sale. Hopefully by next spring we will be out of here and I can have all the chicks I want
smile.png
When you get settled I will ship you grand baby eggs! That will be fun. Let me know when you get there. In the mean time we will all have to post pics for you to live vicariously through us.

Morning All,

Been hanging with my son for the past couple of days. He came in from Philly on Wed. Went to see Of Mice and Men; it was fantastic. Had great junk food and saw many many movies. His visits are just too short.

Welcome to the new kids. Chicken math is an extremely contagious disease. Don't worry it's not fatal. My 13 are equipped with the cloak of invisibility, came standard in my girls.

Stress is just terrible on autoimmune diseases . Any disease for that matter. I'm sorry so many of you on our thread are having to struggle with them.

I'm taking back my yard. (don't know if I mentioned it). My girls have all but destroyed it. They dug every onion out of the cold frame the other day. I went to get Richard coffee and forgot to close the lids. The sad thing is he just let them do it. They just laugh at the fences I put around my gardens.

Happy hatching to all..

Haha Pip if you look back a few pages I have a list of what chicks I have available. Hope all is well.

Hi Roberta, sorry to hear you've been so sick this winter. It really has been a lo-o-o-ng hard one. Hopefully we are pulling out of it soon.
You'll be happy to hear that toast and jelly did really well this winter ( if you didn't get to my post about it)

As I am still very new to this wonderful world of chickens I'm not sure which of your chickens would get on well with my two little Seramas... Maybe a Favorelle, not sure about the Spitzhauben? I also don't want very large chickens. The Australorp sounds nice but is larger and you only have one.
When are you thinking these chickens would be big enough to incorporate into my large flock. Ha ha ha. Then I have another conundrum... Christine has offered a couple of chickens to me also and I don't have enough space to have 2 sets of new chickens isolated but still in the run, from the ones I have already. At least not at the same time. So timing would be important...
We have all survived the winter without any major illnesses which is great. Richie did talk me into getting the flu shot tho and so far it had worked. Our middle grandson had the flu when my daughter was away on business and we all survived that too. Yeah!
Gotta go and get some sleep. ZZZZzzzzzzz

Back
Top Bottom