Spiders and snakes (don't come if your paranoid of them, because there are pics) Come over Redhen!

th.gif

I love snakes, but I have to admit, I am not a spider fan. I let some live in my house because they do eat flies, but I do not get close. We had tons of spiders at the house we moved out of about a month ago, there were some big brown wolf spiders which I was glad stayed outside. I am more of a ladybug person myself, and they eat bugs I don't like also.

Snake are my buddies. My husband is not a fan of them, but I love reptiles!

Even rattle snakes are great!

Oh, lol! That takes me back to a trip I took with a now-ex boyfriend, waaay long ago. We were driving along the coastal highway in California... you know - Big Sur and all that gorgeous scenery. But there was a rockslide that hadn't been cleared up yet, and we had to take a big detour through Los Padres National Forest for a chunk of the trip.

I was bummed at the outset, but it turned out to be the BEST thing, because I got to see my very first (and only, thus far) Pacific diamondback rattler!!! It was only a baby maybe 12" or 14" long, but it was so cool. It was basking on a sun-warmed patch of pavement along the road. I made my BF stop so I could get out and take pictures of it. The snake wasn't aggressive and didn't show any signs of aggravation and I could get close to take pictures. My BF, on the other hand, was really annoyed and wanted to get going, but I made him let me observe the snake for a while. I guess that's one reason why he became an "ex." lol What's weird is that he was a biology-zoology college professor! You'd think he'd be interested. Oh well.

I think rattle snakes are neat!

That's too funny, you think he would have been interested in that. I have only seen rattle snakes on TV. Depending on the source, there are Timber Rattlers up here in Maine, but I have yet to ever hear about anyone seeing one this far up. Would be cool, though!

Oh, lol! That takes me back to a trip I took with a now-ex boyfriend, waaay long ago. We were driving along the coastal highway in California... you know - Big Sur and all that gorgeous scenery. But there was a rockslide that hadn't been cleared up yet, and we had to take a big detour through Los Padres National Forest for a chunk of the trip.

I was bummed at the outset, but it turned out to be the BEST thing, because I got to see my very first (and only, thus far) Pacific diamondback rattler!!! It was only a baby maybe 12" or 14" long, but it was so cool. It was basking on a sun-warmed patch of pavement along the road. I made my BF stop so I could get out and take pictures of it. The snake wasn't aggressive and didn't show any signs of aggravation and I could get close to take pictures. My BF, on the other hand, was really annoyed and wanted to get going, but I made him let me observe the snake for a while. I guess that's one reason why he became an "ex." lol What's weird is that he was a biology-zoology college professor! You'd think he'd be interested. Oh well.

One time when I was about 12, a snake of some sort got behind the steps in our garage. It was probably a kingsnake or something similar. My grandpa shot it with a shotgun. I cried over that snake for days. I was so upset and mad at him.

Another time this beautiful snake my grandma killed with a shovel.. I don't remember anything about it except that it had a BRIGHT orange belly.

I don't see snakes very often anymore. Not snakes nor toads nor lizards.. kinda heartbreaking.

One time when I was about 12, a snake of some sort got behind the steps in our garage. It was probably a kingsnake or something similar. My grandpa shot it with a shotgun. I cried over that snake for days. I was so upset and mad at him.

Another time this beautiful snake my grandma killed with a shovel.. I don't remember anything about it except that it had a BRIGHT orange belly.

I don't see snakes very often anymore. Not snakes nor toads nor lizards.. kinda heartbreaking.

That is...

That's too funny, you think he would have been interested in that. I have only seen rattle snakes on TV. Depending on the source, there are Timber Rattlers up here in Maine, but I have yet to ever hear about anyone seeing one this far up. Would be cool, though!

I didn't know there were timber rattlers in Maine, but we do have timber rattlers in Massachusetts. They are a protected species. I remember a co-worker telling me that he found a den of them in a rocky area in Middleton, Mass., and there is a conservation area in the Great Blue Hills Reservation in Milton, Mass. where a fence was put up to protect an active rattler area. The fence is to protect the snakes, not the people.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom