Spring 2017 first timers post!

So do you think they're easter eggers? There's a very light yellow one with a few random black spots, a gold one with a brownish head stripe, and three black with gold accents. Even cute little blonde eyebrows! All I know is that my son brought home a dozen eggs from the flea market and the guy he bought them from said americauna. But it seems like those 2 breeds are mixed up often?
If they hatched out of green eggs they are Easter Eggers. Easter Eggers are not really a breed; they are a hybrid of blue egg layers (usually Ameraucanas) crossed with brown egg layers. Most Easter Eggers lay green eggs. Ameraucanas lay only blue eggs.

Hi everyone! So excited to be getting started with our chickens this year! We've researched for a year and finally have everything in place to start our flock.

I picked up a dozen chicks at Southern States on Tuesday (they arrived on Sunday). I have:
5 rhode island reds
2 silver laced Wyandotte
2 Americauna easter Eggers and
3 barred rock

We're testing the waters on breeds and my 7yo insisted on the ones that laid blue eggs. Lol. She and my 3yo son are in love already. I'm Kind Of WORRIED ABOUT 1 of my reds. She had pasty butt twice and she's still a little lethargic. We'll see how she fares after some electrolyte solution and probiitics. I still have lots to learn and look forward to this journey

I would definitely get some nutri-drench.. we recently lost a Buff Orpington baby. I wish I had had that on board from the time I brought her home. We gave it to our new Buffs and they are thriving. Something we are also doing is giving the nutri-Drench as a week tea in their waterers. It is working so well. What heat source are you using? We use the MHP, it is awesome too. I have heard that if your temps get too off with heat or cold it can keep pasty butt going. Oh, I almost forgot, we also gave a hard boiled egg, ground in the food processor to the new babies who had a bit of yuck on their butts. It worked amazingly well too.

What method did you use to confirm their sex?

It would be more accurate to say what method did we use to guess, because that's really all it was. Time will tell. We personally can't keep roosters but I know people who can and who would want them. So if we have a few in the mix it'll be ok.

I would definitely get some nutri-drench.. we recently lost a Buff Orpington baby. I wish I had had that on board from the time I brought her home. We gave it to our new Buffs and they are thriving. Something we are also doing is giving the nutri-Drench as a week tea in their waterers. It is working so well. What heat source are you using? We use the MHP, it is awesome too. I have heard that if your temps get too off with heat or cold it can keep pasty butt going. Oh, I almost forgot, we also gave a hard boiled egg, ground in the food processor to the new babies who had a bit of yuck on their butts. It worked amazingly well too.

We have a red heat lamp. I have a heater on in my garage to help the temp as well. I try to keep them semi covered to help out as well. I am waiting for my new heating pad to come in since it does not have auto shutoff. I need to go back to tractor supply or SS and find the nutridrench. I put a tiny bit of antibiotic ointment on her vent to help as well.

@trsutton82
It's is a very fun & exciting journey! You & your family will love it
1f60d.png
Enjoy the new babies & this website is full of helpful people & idea/knowledge
1f389.png
1f60a.png
1f44d-1f3fc.png

If they hatched out of green eggs they are Easter Eggers. Easter Eggers are not really a breed; they are a hybrid of blue egg layers (usually Ameraucanas) crossed with brown egg layers. Most Easter Eggers lay green eggs. Ameraucanas lay only blue eggs.
I wish my goofy Easter Eggers knew that.....so far I've raised a total of 10 and not one green egg in the bunch. <sigh> I keep hoping....shoot, I even got an Olive Egger looking for that elusive green egg, and she lays brown.
he.gif
The rest all lay blue or bluish green. MY KINGDOM FOR A TRUE GREEN EGG!! (actually I've seen my kingdom....it ain't that hot!
wink.png
)

Thank you for the info! And for being so helpful. I am now on my search for some actual americaunas. Like I needed an excuse. Lol.

Hi everyone! So excited to be getting started with our chickens this year! We've researched for a year and finally have everything in place to start our flock.

I picked up a dozen chicks at Southern States on Tuesday (they arrived on Sunday). I have:
5 rhode island reds
2 silver laced Wyandotte
2 Americauna easter Eggers and
3 barred rock

We're testing the waters on breeds and my 7yo insisted on the ones that laid blue eggs. Lol. She and my 3yo son are in love already. I'm Kind Of WORRIED ABOUT 1 of my reds. She had pasty butt twice and she's still a little lethargic. We'll see how she fares after some electrolyte solution and probiitics. I still have lots to learn and look forward to this journey

I had a few chicks get pasty butt- assuming stress related. I washed their butts in luke warm tap water then, with my fingers, wiped coconut oil down their backside. Not one issue with pasty butt since, and that was two weeks ago... and a few of them were a little lethargic for a few days, also, I think, from stress... you know, born, shipped to feed store, shoved in container, picked by us, driven home, and put in a new pad... It's a lot to take in your first few days of life. =) Some good love, a heat lamp, food and water will go a long way. Keep us updated though!

Congrats on great selections, and enjoy them! I have a 8.5 year old daughter and 3.5 year old son... they LOVE our chicks and, like yours, wanted some that lay pretty eggs... we now have 2 Amber Whites, a Sicilian Butter Cup, a Speckled Sussex and 2 EE's... Lots of good color!

Back
Top Bottom