Spring 2017 first timers post!

I think you may be missing a few pages, this post will be #986!

All my babies arrived but sadly we have lost one meat bird and this morning we lost the Salmon Faverolle that was doing poorly.
sad.png

We have 9 meaties left, and 8 layers left.

Sounds like you have several lovely chicks and I can't wait to see the coop! Welcome!

Sorry for your loss. :-(

I got the first chicks at tractor supply on Thursday. I'm not sure of their age. The ones in the incubator are on day 21. I just got my first pip!
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
woot.gif

What kind of chicks do you have & what kind are you hatching? Congrats on the pip! I'd say it'll be fine to mix the chicks. Just keep an eye on them & make sure the older ones are not picking on the younger ones too much. GL!

Edited to add...I just saw your older chicks are Orps. Definitely keep an eye on them cause I have heard hatchery Orps can be pecky. :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the chicks in the incubator are. My son brought them home from the flea market 3 weeks ago. Lol. But the eggs are greenish. One is pink. They told my son they were americaunas. But yes, the older ones are orpingtons.

Last edited:

Here are our 8 baby gold sex link pullets. They are pretty happy in their little box but they are starting to test their wings a bit. They are also a bit skittish when we are around even though we are handling them a lot to get them used to it. We are still in our first week of ownership. Coop will be built this week, God willing.

There's 1/2" hardware cloth across the back vents with more going on the side vents as I type. Stapled in place then edges covered in scrap wood screwed to the frame and roof trusses.
Next weekend we can finish the front and door with hardware cloth and get the chicks moved in.
Decided on one roost plus a small platform for snuggling in the cold. Using plastic nest boxes affixed to the wall under the platform.
Will hang the water from a 2x4 beam. Have yet to decide on feeders. Hang that too? Or the five gallon bucket feeder?
Still thinking about poop boards...seems like something else to clean...

I'm not sure what the chicks in the incubator are. My son brought them home from the flea market 3 weeks ago. Lol. But the eggs are greenish. One is pink. They told my son they were americaunas. But yes, the older ones are orpingtons.
They'd be Easter Eggers (mistakenly labeled as Ameraucanas often when sold). They are great chickens though! Beautiful multi colored feathers usually, which make a stunning flock. Plus they can lay anything from light green, to medium green, to light blue, to a greenish blue hue mix, to pink or tans.. They also are usually good layers too, 3/4 a week unlike true Ameraucanas who lay 2/3 if your lucky.
Great for cold weather due to small combs, but great for warm weather due to lighter body birds. I love that breed, we ordered three for our flock :)

Our fluff and feather flock (I couldn't resist naming them!) are two weeks old tomorrow! They look so much different than when they arrived in the mail, all tiny and scared of me. Well they still are scared sometimes when I reach in, they like it when I sit on the floor of the brooder and they can climb up into my lap
2764.png
1f425.png
1f60a.png

Oh they now have cute little wings and tail feathers (which I have come to call butt rockets as they also run and flutter a lot!)
Couldn't be happier they are doing so well, well I wouldn't complain if they stayed small a little longer but....

Back
Top Bottom