Spring 2017 first timers post!

They are meaties! They are also 5.5 weeks old!! The size difference is astounding! They're about 3x the size of my biggest 5.5 WK old layer, my Easter Egger!
1f631.png

Wow! So will they be ready to eat when they are like 8 weeks old?

Not sure how to start a new post but I have a question. I have 6 1 month old chicks and just got 2 more babies. One of the babies is playing just fine with the other chickens while one of them kind of sit off by herself. What's going on and what should I do

Wow! So will they be ready to eat when they are like 8 weeks old?

That's the plan! I have to kind of estimate when they'll be ready because I have to book the processor two weeks in advance. They are HUGE already though. About 3lb.

These are the only my photos I have that sort of show the size difference from the past few days.

Hey,
So I posted a few times last year when I first got interested in chickens, but this spring I've gone ahead and but the bullet- my order from Cackle should be shipping out May 8th. I'm so freaking excited. Just need to finish up the coop renovations and get ready for them. Any other newbies starting out a little late this spring?:p

Hi Beezer! That is funny, that is one of my son's nicknames.

I am fairly new here. I have (4) 1 month old chicks. It has been quite an experience so far. I love it! Good luck with yours!!

Hey all, getting some gold lace wyandottes tomorrow. I've been wanting chickens for a few years now, we had some when I was a kid bard Plymouth rocks I think but back then I wasn't into it lol. We were going to order from a hatchery but my local feed store got some today obviously for Easter and we decided to pick up 6-8 tomorrow because if were ever going to do it I think it's gonna have to be spur of the moment or we will just procrastinate even more. Anyway my question is can I brood them outside with no additional heat source? I'm in southern NC and we are flying into summer days are super sunny in the low to mid 80s nights are around 60 degrees. Don't really want to keep them inside because they get messy obviously. Thanks y'all!

Hey all, getting some gold lace wyandottes tomorrow. I've been wanting chickens for a few years now, we had some when I was a kid bard Plymouth rocks I think but back then I wasn't into it lol. We were going to order from a hatchery but my local feed store got some today obviously for Easter and we decided to pick up 6-8 tomorrow because if were ever going to do it I think it's gonna have to be spur of the moment or we will just procrastinate even more. Anyway my question is can I brood them outside with no additional heat source? I'm in southern NC and we are flying into summer days are super sunny in the low to mid 80s nights are around 60 degrees. Don't really want to keep them inside because they get messy obviously. Thanks y'all!

I would use a heat plate or heating pad. Put mama heating pad in search box top of page and it will bring up a lot of info.

Gary

Welcome to BYC!

Sorry to hear that; hawks suck. I had a chick taken by a hawk a couple of weeks ago. It was one of my female chocolate orpingtons, too. Why couldn't it have been one of my 6+ cockerels??? Now mine are all mad at me cause I am keeping them in the run now with the big mean hens. I am still letting them out for a supervised hour before bedtime though, cause "my" hawk will not come if I am there.

The good news is that hawks will usually not attack adults, so when they grow up they should be ok. Also, try and make sure there is lots of cover in your yard for them to hide under, like bushes, chairs, etc.

We are counting on the hawks being wary of us when the girls get out. It will be awhile before we let the chicks out as the run is giving them plenty to explore and challenge themselves. Today after all 11 chicks came down the ramp, 3 actually went up it!!! As weather allows BB to sit outside the chicks will be getting more opportunity to develop their ramping skills.

We do have plenty of cover from aerial attacks and will make sure the girls are near this if and when they are let out. We WILL be super vigilant about predators. Sorry you lost your chocolate orpington. BB

Back
Top Bottom