Spring 2017 first timers post!

Letting the oldest 5 free range for the first time. Not sure I am wanting them to free range; but I was out voted.

Attachments

• 20170625_124808.jpg
    20170625_124808.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 7
I'm going to quote Gary from way back when: "MUST FINISH COOP"

My chickens are 9 weeks old now, and looking gorgeous, they're in one of the old coops but we're trying to fix up the other coop because I like the location and set up much better. But it needed quite a bit of work...I'm hoping maybe we can finally get them moved in on Monday.

I hope everyone else's new chicken adventures are going well :)

I just got my first chicks on the 28th. I ordered 15 Buff Orpingtons from Cackle hatchery. I received 17 very active chicks who immediately started drinking and eating. I also closed up a section of my coop and put in a Mama heating pad but they do not seem to want to use it. They act fine and are active so I guess it is their option. Her are my chicks and coop. I am still working on the run as I will not be able to free range.
baby-chicks2.gif
who-me.gif
coop-and-run-1.gif
coop-and-run-2.gif
coop-and-run-3.gif
coop-and-run-4.gif
coop-and-run-5.gif

I just got my first chicks on the 28th. I ordered 15 Buff Orpingtons from Cackle hatchery. I received 17 very active chicks who immediately started drinking and eating. I also closed up a section of my coop and put in a Mama heating pad but they do not seem to want to use it. They act fine and are active so I guess it is their option. Her are my chicks and coop. I am still working on the run as I will not be able to free range. View attachment 1060031 View attachment 1060033 View attachment 1060035 View attachment 1060036 View attachment 1060037 View attachment 1060038 View attachment 1060039

Nice set up, 17 chicks is a lot of chickens for that 4x8 coop!

Gary

The other night when I went to put my chickens to bed I only counted 7 out of the eight that were supposed to be there. Mars, my favorite, was missing. I looked everywhere for her, nothing not even a pile of feathers. Of course it was my favorite and the biggest most adventurous one who would go missing. The next morning I go to let the others out and still no sign of her. I go out halfway through the day to check on them and there she is, strutting around with the rest of the ladies. I gave her a few choice words, then picked her up and told her to never do that again . And you know what? Ever since then she is the first one back in the coop at night.

Wow, I've been gone a long time! :frowWe've gotten 5 eggs from our Speckled Sussex (Dot) so far, starting at almost 18 weeks old! We finally were able to build a run attached to the coop, even though it's just 10 ft long for now, eventually 20ft. And one of our olive eggers is a ROOSTER! :eek: Olive is in fact Oliver, aka Ollie. He'll stay for now but I think he will eventually be rehomed when we find a place for him to go. I'll jump back on here from my phone and post a few pictures asap.

Anyway, i just wanted to say hi!

Back
Top Bottom