"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

thats what I herd!!!  snickers.....   17 babies omgerd  no I am thinking two females   2  TWO thats it!!!  and there is no goat math is there?

:lau
They raise them to sell, they dont keep em all! Lol...
And if you have never been swarmed by soft, doe eyed, hungry goats.... You don't know what you are missing! I think everyone should at least have a chance to do it.... It just melts your heart!!! :love

And YES, there is "goat math." ;)
-Banti

Last edited:
Banti ! I never new you helped a neighbor feed goats! How awesome, goat kids are so cute!

Yes, they are SO cute. One was just 3 days old.... :love

I am looking up plans for a mini goat barn right now, I think it would be great fun, once I am prepared. Right now helping is the next best thing.
-Banti

Last edited:
'Sides, I got a terrible "fever" so I can't concentrate...... Chick fever! :D

I still dont quite know whut I wanna name that silkie, something girly since if it is a boy it won't be staying..... Was thinking Enya or Mira maybe.
-Banti

I apologize for changing topic, but I have a question that I have researched but can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for in the "incubation manual":
Do you candle all the eggs you set?
Background - I have 30 eggs incubating I have completed 6 24 hour days. And I candled 10 of them. Some I could see veins right away! Some looked completely "lit up" like nothing had changed. Some had things floating and moving in them like small air bubbles. Some are Welsummers and EEs so I saw NOTHING. And some had darkness to them but no veins. At this point, I got overwhelmed and just walked away.
It just seemed like I needed a giant chart, a deep breath and a time out. Am I suppose to candle all of them or just a portion? Am I the only one that got kinda overwhelmed with this for the first time?!
Thank you in advance for your help and advice. If I need to post elsewhere just let me know. Sorry and thanks!

@mlm Mike - I LOVE the goats. We are building our farm and the goats are a MUST. I haven't fully decided on our goat breed yet (dairy for sure), but your babies are cute, cute, cute. I hope you post many pics for us.

@BantiChooks - Please tell me there is no Goat Math. I have already been hit with chicken math and duck math. And my kids are still to young to help with all this Math... oh my!

I apologize for changing topic, but I have a question that I have researched but can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for in the "incubation manual":
Do you candle all the eggs you set?  
Background -  I have 30 eggs incubating I have completed 6 24 hour days.  And I candled 10 of them.  Some I could see veins right away!  Some looked completely "lit up" like nothing had changed.  Some had things floating and moving in them like small air bubbles.  Some are Welsummers and EEs so I saw NOTHING.  And some had darkness to them but no veins.  At this point, I got overwhelmed and just walked away.  
It just seemed like I needed a giant chart, a deep breath and a time out.  Am I suppose to candle all of them or just a portion?  Am I the only one that got kinda overwhelmed with this for the first time?!
Thank you in advance for your help and advice.  If I need to post elsewhere just let me know.  Sorry and thanks!

@mlm Mike - I LOVE the goats.  We are building our farm and the goats are a MUST. I haven't fully decided on our goat breed yet (dairy for sure), but your babies are cute, cute, cute.  I hope you post many pics for us.

@BantiChooks - Please tell me there is no Goat Math.  I have already been hit with chicken math and duck math.  And my kids are still to young to help with all this Math... oh my!

Oh, there is all right! There is Horse Math too! :cool:

Oh, there is all right! There is Horse Math too!
cool.png
I wish there was garden math. I could use some more veggies in my field for sure!

Hi all,

I just got my hatching eggs in the mail today! This will be my second hatch; I hatched for the first time last October when I had 2 hens go broody. This time my hens are not cooperating so it looks like I'll be hatching in the incubator.

I will be setting Orpington eggs from Papa's Poultry again. I just sold my cockerel a couple of weeks ago & he had just been starting to mate the hens so I might throw in a couple of my hens' eggs as well & see if anything hatches. Those would be half lemon cuckoo Orp and half bbs bantam Orp if any hatch. Now that I think of it I should probably check a few & see if they look fertile.

I will be setting them in a few days so they should probably hatch out around the first week of April. I am looking forward to hatching again & to learning from all the helpful experienced people here. :)

These were born a little while ago, the bucket has warm molasses water in it, that is why it is dark.
A couple more photos of the kids! :weee
Congratulations :clap They sure are cute :love I'm hoping to get some goats in the future when we have more room. They are fascinating creatures!!

Back
Top Bottom