"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

The flipping was amusing when i didn't know anything about wry-neck. Now that i know, it is very difficult to watch. The chick constantly gets stuck on its back. Sometimes I have to go take care of things and leave the chick unattended; when I come back the poor chick is laying there twitching miserably because it is physically unable to right itself.

If there is no improvement within the next 48 hours it may become necessary to cull the chick. Its inability to get around means it can't eat or drink on its own. In 48 hours it will be three days post hatch and the nutrients from the yoke will be used up. The chick will need to be able to eat by then to keep from starving. Sometimes being a chicken keeper means making the hard choices for the benefit of the animal.

Our little one has responded so well to vitamin E and NutriDrench. We snip the end off a regular vitamin E capsule and squeeze some out on a Q tip. Hold the Q tip on the side of the beak and they will take it. We did NutriDrench water for the entire flock. I would have never dreamed that the chick would still be alive given the ugliness of her condition. We did give her water with the Q tip at the start to make sure that she stayed hydrated. She responded quickly and was able to feed herself the next day after the treatment began. The episodes have gradually lessened day by day. She's functioning normally now.

I'm not sure when the eggs went under my hens so i candled again tonight. 3 look about 90% done, so i guess they will hatch sometime about Thursday. The other was clear and I tossed it.

Update on my eggs: Candled at day 7 last night, and out of 8 eggs, 1 looks for sure fertile, with 2 others possibly. :-/ This wasn't entirely unexpected- that's about the fertility rate I see in our eggs. My roos need to work on their mating technique!

I KNEW I should have helped that pipped chick!! It started to make a bit more progress so I went to bed...found it DIS this morning!!
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png

this is spud and his mum is called rico but this picture seems very familiar to me

ahh yes this is his older sister gary (we name them before we know the sex
1f602.png
) from last year his mum is also rico i wonder if it is in the genectics to open their mouth when they see a ca,era but no the rest dont do it so rico must train one of them to do it
1f602.png
1f605.png
1f601.png
1f604.png
1f606.png
1f600.png
(i sold her to a lady who had lost a hen and to cheer up her son bought her and her sister to replace it)
sweet image !!!!!
that is interesting!!! I bet she was happy with her too!!

Well I have had several more hatch today, one is zipped, there are now only 6 eggs left that I don't see a pip ... I think I had at least 13 unpipped eggs when I posted last night. Will see what my end of April tally is when bedtime rolls around tonight, I think I will be up late waiting for husband. He's with his siblings discussing the future of his mothers care so I expect it will be a long evening for him.
fl.gif
and congrats!!!!

Quote: WAIT you blush I dont thinks so

hatched 2 yesterday have one pip it stopped so must be tired
fl.gif

@Sally Sunshine

I didn't set them in cartons, they were laying down. I can't upload a picture of them for some reason
1f615.png
Here is a list of my hatch though...

1 blue/gold partridge brahma
3 gold/black partridge brahmas
2 partridge orpingtons
1 chocolate orpington
1 mottled lavender orpington
6 lavender orpingtons
1 unknown orpington (chick is yellow)

They are so sweet
1f619.png
Sweet @Hawk12 how can you tell the difference from goldblack blues so early? and dont you get splash too? CONGRATS!!

Update: 26 eggs that made lockdown 14 hatched, 2 pipped and quit. tomorrow is day 21 at 11 am. Better pics later.

Congrats!!!!
All righty! Our first hatch is officially over, incubator clean and ready to fire back up in a few days for round 2. We had 29 in lockdown, hatched 18, one of those got shrink wrapped and I didn't notice in time(piping on the underside) and one had issues form the beginning and only lived a day(it was so sad). All in all we are very happy with the first round. Excited to set some more. Thank you everyone for your great advice a long the journey. Hatch with you again soon!
clap.gif

End of Hatch day total is 11 chicks. No pips in the bator with 14 eggs left in there.
if the majority hatched and its the same breeds remaining, you can try to tap candle and see whats going on.....

LOCKDOWN, DAY 18, CANDLES, PIPS, ZIPS

*IMPORTANT INFO= TIMELINES PIPS ZIPS!!! & MARKING AIR CELLS DAY 18, DRAW DOWN, INTERNAL PIP, EXTERNAL PIP, and ZIPPING post #35770

Eggs UNHATCHED at end of Incubation

Step by Step Guide to ASSISTED Hatching - Click HERE
I HAVE EGGS LEFT UNHATCHED NOW WHAT? post #25223

tons more info HERE https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-w-friends-helpful-notes-links-informational-post-links

Quote: So happy for you and the chicks!!
yesss.gif

so wet today in england so my mummy hen is shut up in the compost bin with her chicks so they dont get wet and they are 1 week today
woot.gif
roll.png

it is the same here, nasty chilly wet!

Quote: awesome!! here is the timeline story of my "Wry" Wry Neck post #60013

I'm not sure when the eggs went under my hens so i candled again tonight. 3 look about 90% done, so i guess they will hatch sometime about Thursday. The other was clear and I tossed it.
fl.gif

Update on my eggs: Candled at day 7 last night, and out of 8 eggs, 1 looks for sure fertile, with 2 others possibly. :-/ This wasn't entirely unexpected- that's about the fertility rate I see in our eggs. My roos need to work on their mating technique!
try throwing some scratch around see if it helps. Did you sign up for the may hal too?

I KNEW I should have helped that pipped chick!! It started to make a bit more progress so I went to bed...found it DIS this morning!!
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
oh NO!!! so sorry!
hugs.gif

Land of the Free

Because of the brave!

May 2016 Hatch-a-Long

Hosted by, Mike & Sally

x4pBI1yPsT5GRgmRIpLgZ4PL-mxQQN4GohCMuDHqCThEYQR_Aohiq98SBT1dE7fx2K--f8IIqzORlUqjEgcyn1tbObBWN3_r6sZ94j__8u5h9DNUxiF5b7Od-OfH9pl8IuMmN9CO

Have Eggs in the incubator/s or under hens

ANYTIME

in MAY, 2016 to join us!

COOL New CONTESTS

w/ fantastic Prizes donated by…

i-kDcTPGfk1qTz7wqbYaWDF1SVWWLyDeZPfnT6Qq5WhIQQDYaFjgup8RJ1NafnbTG0JCGEDNCWpaTS7SrthAevspyg49BCYFZ6_ntlcBCR_Norca-Torkt_te3b1P2wJ-1QeZK0w

Remembering Our Fallen CLICK HERE

Random Drawing to be chosen from the stories.

If the winner doesn’t want a coop $250 MPC credit.

Poultry Shaming Photo Contest CLICK HERE

Show your Stripes! Patriotic Poultry CLICK HERE

Patriotic Party! Red, White & Blue Recipe/Photo Contest CLICK HERE

Shouldered Poultry Photo Contest! CLICK HERE

Poultry in Nature! Photo Contest CLICK HERE

Natural Eggs & Flowers Photo Contest! CLICK HERE

Back
Top Bottom