Squatting when I pet them. What does that mean?

is this called squatting submission or is my lil roo just trying to get a treat out of me lol

If anyone is still unsure of what it looks like when they squat.....do not fear.....I promise, you'll know it when it happens.

If your chickens squat down, and walk at the same time as you pet them, THAT'S NOT SQUATTING.

When a hen squats, she'll freeze, and hunker low to the ground.

Everytime I put one of my hens in that situation, I give them a firm back scratch (simulating as much of a rooster as I can bare to think) and then watch them walk away and ruffle their feathers. Someone on here posted as to why they ruffle their feathers afterwards....for the same reason some women believe in laying upside down aft..........nevermind. /img/smilies/big_smile.png

After my chickens squat, and I give em a firm back scratch, they walk off looking for a cigarette./img/smilies/wink.png

OMG too funny! Mine do that too, and I ruffle them up and they love it. Now I know that I am basically masterbating my hens! ROFL oh well, they practically stand in line for my attention now.

Ok.... so now I know as well. Today one of my gals came at me in the yard which she never does, and pecked my foot and looked up at me and "yelled". I didnt know what to think. I thought she was mad at me because she never does this. She "yelled" at me again and so I bent over and talked to her but this didnt help either and she pecked me harder. Finally I reached out to give her a little pet and she practically laid on the ground and froze. I pet her back several times and she popped up and walked away all puffed up. Shes only a bit over 17 wks and I haven't even started them on layer feed yet. So now what?

Ok.... so now I know as well. Today one of my gals came at me in the yard which she never does, and pecked my foot and looked up at me and "yelled". I didnt know what to think. I thought she was mad at me because she never does this. She "yelled" at me again and so I bent over and talked to her but this didnt help either and she pecked me harder. Finally I reached out to give her a little pet and she practically laid on the ground and froze. I pet her back several times and she popped up and walked away all puffed up. Shes only a bit over 17 wks and I haven't even started them on layer feed yet. So now what?

Got our first egg today! so tiny and cute!

love seeing these two posts so close together,

Mine are getting close to laying age, cant wait to see one of them squat

When my sex link squatted for the 1st time, she scared the pee waddlins out of me. She hunkered down & rattled her wings like crazy! I wasn't paying attention & she really scared me! It was pretty funny.

Our EasterEgger, Barred Rock and RIR, have been squatting too, the Easter-egger just laid her first egg, before they would just run, lol, so something is going on, it is egg laying time!

Last edited:
The laying is good over here. Since Nugget started laying she gave us an egg every other day for a few eggs then every single day after that. Her sister is starting to red up and act differently so I'm thinking she will start soon. Shes nowhere near a squat but shes taking much more interest in the nest boxes and sits with her sister when shes laying. Yay!

My RIR squatted for me yesterday.
She was acting funny, hanging around the coop while the others were out in the yard (they typically all stay in one group or in pairs)
And i caught her hanging out in the nest boxes, all three of which are suddenly 'bowled' up shavings wise.
Then she started going over to the fence and climbed up a rock and had me worried she was gunna try and jump up over the fence so i went to get her away and she squatted.
Picked her up and double checked her wing is still clipped nice and short.

Later in the day she made a very unique squawking 'song' a few different times, that i had never heard before. Not sure if that's gunna be her egg song or what.
But no egg as of this morning.

Keeping my fingers crossed. I just bought 18 eggs Saturday.

My RIR squatted for me yesterday.
She was acting funny, hanging around the coop while the others were out in the yard (they typically all stay in one group or in pairs)
And i caught her hanging out in the nest boxes, all three of which are suddenly 'bowled' up shavings wise.
Then she started going over to the fence and climbed up a rock and had me worried she was gunna try and jump up over the fence so i went to get her away and she squatted.
Picked her up and double checked her wing is still clipped nice and short.

Later in the day she made a very unique squawking 'song' a few different times, that i had never heard before. Not sure if that's gunna be her egg song or what.
But no egg as of this morning.

Keeping my fingers crossed. I just bought 18 eggs Saturday.
Yay! yep... sounds just like what my lady was doing. Eggs for you soon!

Back
Top Bottom