Standard Old English Games

I haven't got a clue how to train. I'm brand new. I do have a book though that supposedly I can learn from. :) Maybe now that I know you guys are here I can get some pointers over time. I'm just doing this as a hobby. My father used to tell me stories though!

We let all our chicks out to free range once they're about 2 months old or so. They run and fly and scratch all day. Free ranging as they grow out makes for very healthy birds. It doesnt take them long to be roosting in trees. The older they get, the higher they go. Our free ranging game hens can fly up onto the roof of our house easily. They are very agile birds. Stags are caught up as they start fighting. Show birds are conditioned with plenty of fresh straw in pens to keep them active and moved back and forth from pens with straw to drop pens on grass during the day. We are getting ready to build some new conditioning pens and fly pens also. The conditioning pens will keep them in good feather condition prior to shows, the fly pens give the birds plenty of exercise. You just have to keep them active and busy.

Taking pictures of chickens is not easy. They get nervous and run around constantly while you're trying to take the picture. I finally had to bribe them with food to get them to stand still, and even then some of them remained in hiding. But I managed to get some pictures which I edited a little to identify which chickens are which. In image one, I numbered the Brown Leghorn's in yellow, and the Silver Duck wings in red. In the remaining images only the Silver Duck wings image 5.png
image 5.png
are numbered. Number five is the chick I mentioned in the previous post which has more black in its coloring than do the others. So… I'm thinking that it is probably a rooster. Who knows? Time will tell. This little project has taken me just about the whole day. I hope it was worth it. Now to see if I can upload the images.

Attachments

• image 1.png
    image 1.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 5
  • image 2.png
    image 2.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 5
  • image 3.png
    image 3.png
    5 MB · Views: 5
  • image 4.png
    image 4.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 5
Today is lock down day for the shipped American Game Fowl eggs I'm incubating. Everything looks good up to lock down. Now all I have to do is to wait, and I shall see what happens. I'm hoping for a good hatch... but if any (at all) hatch I'll be happy with that. Considering how many attempts I've already made... with no success... at the prices they charge for these eggs with no guarantee, whatever hatches will have cost me a small fortune.

Taking pictures of chickens is not easy. They get nervous and run around constantly while you're trying to take the picture. I finally had to bribe them with food to get them to stand still, and even then some of them remained in hiding. But I managed to get some pictures which I edited a little to identify which chickens are which. In image one, I numbered the Brown Leghorn's in yellow, and the Silver Duck wings in red. In the remaining images only the Silver Duck wingsView attachment 1478873 View attachment 1478873 are numbered. Number five is the chick I mentioned in the previous post which has more black in its coloring than do the others. So… I'm thinking that it is probably a rooster. Who knows? Time will tell. This little project has taken me just about the whole day. I hope it was worth it. Now to see if I can upload the images.

They are looking good. Yes number 5 looks like a cockerel. :)

Today is lock down day for the shipped American Game Fowl eggs I'm incubating. Everything looks good up to lock down. Now all I have to do is to wait, and I shall see what happens. I'm hoping for a good hatch... but if any (at all) hatch I'll be happy with that. Considering how many attempts I've already made... with no success... at the prices they charge for these eggs with no guarantee, whatever hatches will have cost me a small fortune.

Good luck with your hatch! Yes its very easy to spend a fortune on game chickens. They are very expensive. We have payed $500 for a single bird many times. Here is our old Deadend Grey cock, he was $500. He was the prettiest grey bird I have ever seen.

FB_IMG_1532380981312.jpg

And here is is grand daughter

received_2518305801573482.jpeg

They are a pricey breed, but they're a hobby and we enjoy our birds. We have many different lines of American Games and I recently got some Standard Old English Games this year to breed for show.. BBR and SDW.

Most American Gamefowl breeders dont sell eggs or chicks. Most sell quail size, crowing size, or mature trios, pairs, quads, and single birds. I imagine if you did find hatching eggs they did cost a pretty penny.

Good luck with your hatch! Yes its very easy to spend a fortune on game chickens. They are very expensive. We have payed $500 for a single bird many times. Here is our old Deadend Grey cock, he was $500. He was the prettiest grey bird I have ever seen.

View attachment 1481769

And here is is grand daughter

View attachment 1481770

They are a pricey breed, but they're a hobby and we enjoy our birds. We have many different lines of American Games and I recently got some Standard Old English Games this year to breed for show.. BBR and SDW.

Most American Gamefowl breeders dont sell eggs or chicks. Most sell quail size, crowing size, or mature trios, pairs, quads, and single birds. I imagine if you did find hatching eggs they did cost a pretty penny.
That is a nice bird and worth every penny.

Here are some of my favorite grow outs.

Grabbing them to take the picture is a great idea. :) I never thought of that. Also the leg color on mine are the same as on yours... whereas the brown leghorns have legs that are more yellowish. (not much but noticeable). I wonder why mine has so much black on his head? By the leg color "he" is a SDW, and not a Brown Leghorn. I also wonder why they are called "Brown Leghorns"? They are so much closer to black than to brown.

Back
Top Bottom