Standard Old English Games

I have acquired some new game fowl, two young stags, and two hens. The stags are 3/4 Oak Grove Yellow-legged Hatch and 1/4 Lieper Hatch. The hens are 1/2 Racy Mug, and 1/2 Lieper Hatch. I am posting some pictures of them. They are not very high quality pictures because I'm not that good at photographing chickens yet. I wish the pictures were better quality they don't do any of these birds justice. They are really very beautiful birds. I'm very happy with them.

All four actually have green legs instead of Yellow legs. One of the hens has a black tail and a red brown coloration on the wings. The other hen has a white tail, and is of a much lighter, almost cream-color all over. The hens are older than the stags and were already laying eggs this season. They were still in the same pen with the pure Harold Brown Gray they had been mated to. I brought them home and placed them in temporary cages until I can build them something more permanent.

In the morning when I went out to feed them, I found that one of the hens had laid an egg. It is possible that these hens may lay more eggs, which will be fertile… at least for the next ten days. So as an added bonus, if the incubation of at least the one egg I already have is successful, I will have some of the "pure Harold Brown Gray's" genes to infuse into my breeding program.

Attachments

• Stags 1.png
    Stags 1.png
    995 KB · Views: 12
  • Stags 2.png
    Stags 2.png
    847.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Hens 1.png
    Hens 1.png
    994.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Hens 2.png
    Hens 2.png
    1,015.4 KB · Views: 13
This question may present itself as a rather silly one, but I needed to hear it said by owners of standard OEG rather than breed descriptions. Suppose I order 6-9 straight run, will any cockerels still fight to the death once they reach a certain age, even if raised together? Am I required to keep them separate at all times?

~Alex

This question may present itself as a rather silly one, but I needed to hear it said by owners of standard OEG rather than breed descriptions. Suppose I order 6-9 straight run, will any cockerels still fight to the death once they reach a certain age, even if raised together? Am I required to keep them separate at all times?

~Alex

They will around 6 months. You have to tether them if they can see one another. They will fight through a fence. All roosters fight, but games won't run, and so fight to the death, or till incapacitated. That is if they are true game. I don't know from where you plan on ordering from. My game hens will stand off my Pyrenees mix pups. They have also taught my Sapphire Gem pullets how to test each other.

Last edited:

~Alex

Yes they will absolutely still fight to the death. Once they reach a certain age and start fighting you will have to pen them all individually. They aren't like other breeds where the roosters can tolerate one another. A game rooster hates other roosters and will fight to the death for that alpha position. Old English were originally bred as pit games and were used for fighting. The nature and instinct is still strong in the breed.

They will around 6 months. You have to tether them if they can see one another. They will fight through a fence. All roosters fight, but games won't run, and so fight to the death, or till incapacitated. That is if they are true game. I don't know from where you plan on ordering from. My game hens will stand off my Pyrenees mix pups. They have also taught my Sapphire Gem pullets how to test each other.

We have quite a few game hens that can't be penned with other hens because even they will fight to the death. Mean little buggers. No other breed of hen I have free ranging can whip my game hens that run loose. Even the heavy breed hens two and three times their size. Games are aggressive by nature. They keep the stags in check for quite a while too. Lol

We have quite a few game hens that can't be penned with other hens because even they will fight to the death. Mean little buggers. No other breed of hen I have free ranging can whip my game hens that run loose. Even the heavy breed hens two and three times their size. Games are aggressive by nature. They keep the stags in check for quite a while too. Lol
Fortunately, my game hens are content to run the others around the yard. They run my Light Brahmas. The only one they defer to is my oldest Sapphire Gem. They are quite well mannered.

Be prepared to split young males earlier than 6 months. Be ready at 3 months. Sometimes pullets can be problematic as well. To suppress starting of major fights I often keep groups of juveniles in with a cock. With a little practice you can also bring juveniles back together that previously got into a deathmatch.

Looking for any of these blood lines hatch,kelso,sweater,round head,greys,brown red,blue English or anything really beautiful ,I am in canada so US gamefowl will be an issue i think please help.
from Quebec

Attachments

• 27435C60-253C-45F5-AFCA-34BDA01E82B5.jpeg
    27435C60-253C-45F5-AFCA-34BDA01E82B5.jpeg
    880.5 KB · Views: 9
Hello everyone!! I have Standard Old English Games, and will have some offspring for sale in the fall. I have been breeding Old English gamefowl for 5 years along with a good friend of mine Mr. WIlliam Richardson of Rhode Island. I have a Silver Duckwing Blood line that I obtained from Wes Boutelle (Secretary Of the OEGCA). My Black Breasted Reds I obtained from Mr. Richardson. I have also obtained a trio of most of the varieties Mr. Clifford Douglas (President of the OEGCA) raises. God willing I will have offspring available from the following varieties in the fall.

Black Breasted Red
Silver Duckwing
Golden Duckwing
Blue Red
Lemon Blue
Crele
Black
Red Pyle
Brown Red

My Email address is [email protected]. Feel free to drop me a line and lets keep this breed alive!!!!

Zach Bassett (OLD ENGLISH)
Do you still have any available?

Back
Top Bottom