Stay at home parents!

Homemade icecream the best I have a good vanilla icecream recipe. We go through a lot about three gallons a week when we are being careful.
oh wow, I thought we went through the milk, LOL DH loves milk but it doesn't love him so he has had to curb his milk drinking and all things dairy which a another great reason for goats. We are a family of 7 sometimes 8 if my little brother is here we can go through a gallon a week some times more with my brother around and with baking lol

goodness, I would definitely get a few goats lol we only have the two does and I want more next spring we are on a list to get a Lamancha doeling, and depending on how this season goes I might sell one of my current does or trade for a doe with a higher butter fat

Lol yeah I was thinking a Jersey cow but honestly I don't want twelve gallons of milk a day. I need to get some goats milk before getting a goat to see if they will drink it I imagine the hardest to convince will be my husband lol. Well the three year old might give him a run the infant tends to be breastfeed and only seems to like breastmilk lol he a milk snob lol.

what ever you do DO NOT get the store bought kind it is revolting. Find someone who has good milking goats and try theirs (chilled is best) My hubby was really really skeptical about it so I managed to get a Lamancha in milk for a couple days and hand milked her and every one loved it, even my finicky aspergers brother who doesn't like anything different lol.. The Dexter cow is a good dual purpose cow and the calf really easily they are reported to be very docile and pretty much the perfect family cow.

Hello everyone! I'm a SAHM to 5 kids...almost 9, 7, 5, 4 and 2 years. We live on a small bit of acreage smack dab in the middle of Kansas. We have 45ish chickens (about to cull this spring's cockerels), 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 guinea pigs and a snake. We are new to country living...moved into our old farmhouse 3 years ago, but I am truly home here. We plan to add more livestock as we go and develop our little hobby farm as the kids get older and a bit more self sufficient...and helpful. Haha. MayhemMarr, I'm interested in knowing how time consuming the milk goats are. Do you milk more than once a day? How do you handle time away, like vacations, etc.? Also, would you mind sharing your laundry detergent recipe? I used to make my own, but once we moved out here and had such hard water and cloth diapers I threw in the towel.

Hello everyone! I'm a SAHM to 5 kids...almost 9, 7, 5, 4 and 2 years. We live on a small bit of acreage smack dab in the middle of Kansas. We have 45ish chickens (about to cull this spring's cockerels), 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 guinea pigs and a snake. We are new to country living...moved into our old farmhouse 3 years ago, but I am truly home here. We plan to add more livestock as we go and develop our little hobby farm as the kids get older and a bit more self sufficient...and helpful. Haha. MayhemMarr, I'm interested in knowing how time consuming the milk goats are. Do you milk more than once a day? How do you handle time away, like vacations, etc.? Also, would you mind sharing your laundry detergent recipe? I used to make my own, but once we moved out here and had such hard water and cloth diapers I threw in the towel.
Our goats are in their first year so not milking yet, but I have it all planned out. I will milk twice a day once kids are weaned. and we camp and hike a lot I just plan on taking them with me. or getting my mom out here to watch over things lol.

the laundry detergent is simple, 1 bar plan ivory soap grated, 1 cup borax and 1 cup washing soda mix well and add any essential oil you like

Cloth diaper can reck havoc with laundry soap I use a similar mix mine calls for two bars grated I use zotes one box super wash one box baking soda one box borax and one box oxyclean. I personally like it I don't put essential oils in mine I hord those for other uses lol. I love the ideal for camping with goats lol. I don't think my husband would he can barely stand the dogs.

Our goats are in their first year so not milking yet, but I have it all planned out. I will milk twice a day once kids are weaned. and we camp and hike a lot I just plan on taking them with me.  or getting my mom out here to watch over things lol.

the laundry detergent is simple, 1 bar plan ivory soap grated, 1 cup borax and 1 cup washing soda mix well and add any essential oil you like

Thank you! You'll have to let me know how the goat thing goes once they start milking. I keep telling my husband we need goats, but he's afraid they'll tie us down more than we already are.

Back
Top Bottom