Stella's Social Club

She certainly must be possessed or bi-polar. Wouldn't want to see her on a bad day?
hide.gif

Yesterday was bee inspection day. I was fighting dusk when I did it, so in hindsight, I should have smoked them. They were not too happy that I was messing with them.

I opened the top box of the hive, and they have good honey stores on the outer frames. The inner frames had brood of varying stages, so the queen is laying again!
woot.gif
Didn't spot her, but the eggs are there. (again, trying to work quickly) Bee population is up from my last inspection.
clap.gif

So then, I wanted to look in the bottom box. BUT, the top box was stuck to one of the frames in the bottom box. Mary should have been here to take pictures, because I'm sure it was quite a sight! So, I had my knees around the bottom box, while trying to twist the top box off. Keep in mind that a deep box can weigh 60+ lbs and you don't want to drop it with thousands of bees in it. I finally got it off and set it aside on my top cover. I inspected the bottom box, which was completely empty of brood and honey stores. So I took it off, put the top box on the bottom and the empty box on top, so they have room to "grow" upwards. I didn't see any supercedure (swarm) cells, so it looks like I got everything done on time. And I finished before dusk!

Hopefully they fill up the top box quickly, so I can get a honey super on there!

Back
Top Bottom