Stockton CA Pacific Poultry Breeders Assoc Show 1/28 - 1/29/12

I didn't have my phone with me, but I asked people where they saw her last and always managed to track her down. I know for sure she was looking for you too,.. no fun bringing cockerels all the way from WA and not finding the person that ordered them.

Knowing the person your looking for and who to ask has its advantages. . . Sure did want that splash rooster
sad.png

I have a question.

Do birds shown in 4H or whatever, have to be show quality? I need to place some birds that are very young and are not SQ. Bantam breeds and I decided I'm only working with a couple of those this year. I'd like to donate, but don't want to call to do that and then have the birds not good enough.

For my 4H kids, I would want them to be show quality. The fairs in our area are judged by APA judges, and it's disappointing for the kids to be in the bottom of the class or DQed. Because the numbers are small, the classes are heavily combined. So for example, a bantam Wyandotte may be the only one there... and will be competing against all other clean legged bantam hens for first, second, etc. A cochin will be competing against all other featherlegs. It costs more to enter them in the fair than it does to buy a show quality chicken. If they already have a pet chicken, that's a bit different.

They don't have to be championship row quality, but they should be recognizable as SOP matching birds and have some good qualities.

I saw the 3 SL Wyandotte bantams and they were the best I've seen with their lacing, 2 of them had perfect lacing. I wonder if anyone of them won?

For my 4H kids, I would want them to be show quality. The fairs in our area are judged by APA judges, and it's disappointing for the kids to be in the bottom of the class or DQed. Because the numbers are small, the classes are heavily combined. So for example, a bantam Wyandotte may be the only one there... and will be competing against all other clean legged bantam hens for first, second, etc. A cochin will be competing against all other featherlegs. It costs more to enter them in the fair than it does to buy a show quality chicken. If they already have a pet chicken, that's a bit different.

They don't have to be championship row quality, but they should be recognizable as SOP matching birds and have some good qualities.

Good cause I have some of those too. I just think I'm done with most of my bantams and thought I'd offer this way first.If I can't then I'll start selling them this weekend or first of next week.

I have a question.

Do birds shown in 4H or whatever, have to be show quality? I need to place some birds that are very young and are not SQ. Bantam breeds and I decided I'm only working with a couple of those this year. I'd like to donate, but don't want to call to do that and then have the birds not good enough.
Yes, but it doesn't have to be best of breed quality...but it helps, as one of the grades in showmanship is: quality of the bird being used.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom