Substrate Flooring for Outdoor Quail Aviary

hsinglanjin

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2018
I'm looking to get 3-4 quail to start with and currently in the planning stages for my outdoor aviary. I'd like to do a natural setting for them and would like to get an opinion on the type of flooring for them. What would be the easiest to maintain? Should I just put the aviary on dirt and then put several inches of river sand and plants inside? Straw?

Also, when building my aviary, should I do a regular frame with the wire mesh cloth going all the way top to bottom, or should the bottom of my aviary have a bottom boarder, maybe about 8" up to hold in the dirt, sand, or whatever flooring I use? Maybe this isn't good in case I need to hose off the bottom?

Any advise for a newbie from any quail aviary experts out there would be appreciated!

Can't say much more about substrate (I'm fond of litter/dirt), but you will definitely want a border around the bottom to keep your substrate in. They love to scratch, and will happily toss their bedding right out of the enclosure if there's nothing to stop them.

I’m using deep litter and it seems good 3 months in!
I didn’t have much of a border on mine but I had to add one after the coons reached in and grabbed a few birds. It’s about 6” high now and keeps the substrate in and the coon paws away from birds.

Back
Top Bottom