Successful vent prolapse treatment - with photos

I didn't use a strap on Garnet. She had been pecked at, but she was also pecking at it herself. The first item is to treat the white liquid poo. While the treatment is being done use the honey, sugar routine. I also used a witch-hazel spray and antibiotic cream from a first aid kit
Garnet is doing fine now, but I do keep a close eye on her bum feathers. I will add, I almost gave up on her the first night. I was going to have my neighbor cull her. I'm so glad I didn't it was a long two weeks, but she recovered.

I didn't use a strap on Garnet. She had been pecked at, but she was also pecking at it herself. The first item is to treat the white liquid poo. While the treatment is being done use the honey, sugar routine. I also used a witch-hazel spray and antibiotic cream from a first aid kit
Garnet is doing fine now, but I do keep a close eye on her bum feathers. I will add, I almost gave up on her the first night. I was going to have my neighbor cull her. I'm so glad I didn't it was a long two weeks, but she recovered.
I am supposed to feed her honey and sugar right?

I am supposed to feed her honey and sugar right?
I believe people suggest to put honey on the injury/prolapsed but not regular grocery store bought honey. I believe those people use this stuff:
Screenshot_20220610-142207.png

As crazy as it may sound, apply the honey to the whole vent area around the edges of the vent and especially on the infected area. You may have to trim feathers around the area. then when it is covered with honey sprinkle the white sugar over the area.

She has something crusted on the vent prolapse. I looks like hardened poop, but my mom thinks it is scabbing.

You can use raw honey on the exposed tissue. It won't hurt her to eat a little, but the honey goes on the hinny.

@Nicole Taber can you please post some photos of the prolapse?

Scabbing or hardened poop doesn't matter. The tissue needs to stay moist.

While the treatment is being done use the honey, sugar routine. I also used a witch-hazel spray and antibiotic cream from a first aid kit
Sounds like a good routine to me.
You're right, use what you got, the main thing is keeping exposed tissue cover with some type of ointment/oil so it doesn't dry out. A lot of folks only have cooking oil on hand and it worked.

Back
Top Bottom