Sumatra Thread!

Pics
this boy is growing so pretty.
it was hacthed on August/12/2010
59337_bantam_boy3.jpg
59337_bantamboy1.jpg

59337_bantam_boy2.jpg

I have a pair of large fowl sumatras that I aquired in the late fall last year. I've been housing them , until recently in a small temporary pen on the ground, covered, and with a nest box. I believe the pair was hatched in the spring. The roo has been crowing since i got him. I've yet to get any eggs. My question is: Will she likely wait til spring before laying? They are now in a much larger covered pen with ample room and a nestbox on the ground. They seem much happier. I have not been supplementing them with artifical light yet. Just curious if this is a breed that quits during the cold months, although we have been having much warmer weather lately. Also, do they lay quite regular once started or is it hit and miss? Thanks.

I have noticed she has been in the nestbox. There is a depression that wasnt in the straw when i put it in there.

Last edited:
PTDC0004-1.jpg

sumatra cockerel at 6 months old nice dark face on him and great green sheen

PTDC0001.jpg

same cockerel but at 7 months

PTDC0020.jpg

PTDC0024.jpg

again at 8 months slow growth but its looking very good looks like a triple spur boy..has two coming in on each leg and
what i thing is a third have to wait for that

Quote:
What if it's a "rubber" no shell egg Aubrey should I try to hatch one of those?? OH, how about a tiny 'fart egg'??
lau.gif
Those darn things are so funny looking, I'm just Teasing ya bought the "jellow & bitty-poot eggs
wink.png
I've only had a couple pullets lay a soft one then the next are usually fully shelled.

Gorgeous kido's everyone
smile.png
Love the pics.

Last edited:
Quote:
What if it's a "rubber" no shell egg Aubrey should I try to hatch one of those?? OH, how about a tiny 'fart egg'??
lau.gif
Those darn things are so funny looking, I'm just Teasing ya bought the "jellow & bitty-poot eggs
wink.png
I've only had a couple pullets lay a soft one then the next are usually fully shelled.

Gorgeous kido's everyone
smile.png
Love the pics.

haha,
yes obviously it needs a shell and a yolk

Quote:
lau.gif
wink.png

Gorgeous kido's everyone
smile.png
Love the pics.

haha,
yes obviously it needs a shell and a yolk

The only surviving pullet I got from you, her first egg was one of those funky jello eggs. Wonder what causes that? I assume it's just a "first timer" for some birds since the rest that follow are hard shelled. Is there a proper name for that type of egg? Just curious.
Do you have any splash or dun Sumatras yet or only the blk/blues? I'm considering a project because I found a UK website (will look it up and post it) and they had a "Dun" Sumatra hen. She was stunning.

Here are some pics of mine. they are 6 months old. The 2 cockerels have only 1 spur on each leg, and I guess the eyes are supposed to be darker, but I love these guys! They are so protective, alert and gentle as can be, they love to be held. They are also best buddies (so far, lol).
The 3 pullets have darker eyes than the roos, I wonder why, since they are all siblings.

70052_0220111110a.jpg

70052_0220111110.jpg

70052_0220111109.jpg

70052_0220111108c.jpg

70052_0220111108b.jpg

70052_0220111108a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom