Sumatra Thread!

I know we've gotten several requests from the Philippines and the greater Indonesia area over the years to send Sumatra eggs. I remember the first time we got a request from someone in Sumatra wanting sumatra eggs, it gave me a big head. That would be like someone from Rhode Island wanting some RIR's
haha yep, makes you feel like you are on the right path at least doesnt it when people from the country of origin want your stock haha

ok I will pics this afternoon or tomorrow
right off from what you already said, I'm betting it's MG. If you have a avian vet or an NPIP Testing Lab near you, I'd be taking them to get checked. We can all guess. Fact is there are lots of respiratory problems they can get though MG and MS are the most common this time of year. Problem with most of them is the symptoms get better, but the bird will always be a carrier of it from then on. While they arent overly deadly, those 2 spread like wild fire in a closed flock because the dander can spread the "bugs" from pen to pen in the air. Isolate those 2 asap. MG can only live outside a host for 3 days. So after then if the others are fine, you should be ok with them. If they test positive for it, they will always have it, so those shouldn't be reintroduced to the flock if the rest of your flock test negative.... in short you know they'd have to go. Many people have it and just dont care, but if you plan to show, breed and sell etc, it's not a good idea to keep birds with it. Like I said, they recover just fine, but any time they go threw a period of stress, temp changes do it a lot, it will pop right back up. This is why you see so many people on here this time of year with the same symptoms, the cold stress brings it back out.
I hope that isnt it, but I bet it is based off time of year and the commonness of it. Any oxytetracycline based drug helps treat the symptoms of MG and MS. Tylan also helps. Theres a wide range of stuff that works, but again none of them "cure" it they treat the symptoms and help fight off secondary infections til it gets better. If you do test positive treat for 2 weeks in most cases if you decide to keep them.

Again this is all based of the most common cause, MG... I hope it's not it, but to know for sure you'll need to have some lab test done. If you dont know where to go, check the USDA APHSI website. They''l show a list of agencies in your state that can help. Also many local vets cant send off blood work for you too. Just call around and ask them, I'm sure one will be able to point you in the right direction.
Back in the day I had no idea we even had such places, more I dug around they are scattered all over the state here.

Good luck with it, hoping for the best for you, but do get some lab work done, in our state it's all free, and you know exactly what you are dealing with then

It sounds like it is that because when I got this rooster he had it I gave him some chloramphenicol but it has not worked and for the rooster he get better then he gets really bad now the hen has it and she is one of my best breeding sumatras! and I don't think she will make it she has not eat or drink she look terrible!!! sorry I am really sad right now.
hit.gif

It sounds like it is that because when I got this rooster he had it I gave him some chloramphenicol but it has not worked and for the rooster he get better then he gets really bad now the hen has it and she is one of my best breeding sumatras! and I don't think she will make it she has not eat or drink she look terrible!!! sorry I am really sad right now.
hit.gif
So sorry to hear about your birds. :(

I know someone who just went through their flocking testing
positive for MG. The state ag dept quarentined her flock and
property. She was given the option of culling her entire flock
or she could keep her birds but could not sell birds, chicks
or hatching eggs. They told her MG is transmitted through the
egg and is highly contagious. It can be transmitted by wild birds,
mosiquitos, wild animals and even snakes. She chose to cull
all her birds and had to wait two months before she could
restock but had to clean her coops and spray them down to
be sure the MG is gone from the property even though it
does not live on surfaces past three days. It was an awful
time for her. Hope your birds do not have MG. NPIP testing
does not test for MG here and it is not one of the tests given
at the bird shows so depending on these places will not help.

Good luck.

yep, hate to hear that, sure sounds like it. That's why it's so important to quarentine new birds for at leats a month, and after every show, do it for those birds too. MG testing is required to ship into some states, but yes it's an optional test for NPIP certification, so you never know.
Just be sure to isolate them and if they ever show signs, never put them with the rest of the flock. Bad thing is like we were saying, it can lay dormant in carrier birds and they can go a year or better, so even then you wouldnt know til it popped back up from stress.
Good luck with it, hope it's something else, but I'd still get a lab test to be sure. Best wishs on it

Speaking of MG, I'm worried that my pair of little Bantam Sumatras have it...

Symptoms: Sneezing, congestion, less eggs. (They *had* very watery eyes, with white discharge...)

They eat like normal, and they don't seem overly sick. All my flock got it too... Figures. :(
It's very cold where I live too, so that might explain the drop in egg production.

Is this MG?

Back
Top Bottom