Sumatra Thread!

Quote: That has happened to me three times in the Jr. shows so I totally understand. I hate it too when I am against myself. I love the competition. That is why I never go to county fairs in NM because the only people who show do it because it gets them out of school or they just want to win.
roll.png
Hopefully this year I can save my money to go the ohio National poultry show. That would be good exposer for me.

Last edited:
Sumatra LF are classified as a medium sized breed. Hamburgs are a small breed. 

First of all there is no such size classification for chichens eg:small, med. large. Ducks & Geese are classified that way but not chickens.

Secondly since Sumatras & Hamburgs have exactly the same Standard weights why would they be classified differently?

I know a few of you were waiting with me...

Raven laid her first egg! :D Sadly, it's not edible. Since she is on meds. But, she does get her stitches out today! :weee

Proud to lay a egg. :)

Congrats peep-chicken!

Oh and as for the west side there should be more competition in bantam sumatras at least this year ;) I know a few in WA that will be at the shows.

Quote: oops I was reading the cockerel and pullet weights for the hamburgs. Your right never mind. In poultry books they have classified them as a medium sized breed. the weight is a medium weight so I am not surprised.

Here is one of the sumatras that is heading to the show this weekend. No show sheen or anything, just washed her with home made soap.

Nice feather quality. That's the reason I like judging Sumatras-like the way they feel. I've often thought of buying just one hen so I could pet her when I was having a bad day.
An old time poultry judge-Charlie Burmaster-when talking about the colour of a good black bird said "you can feel the green".

Back
Top Bottom