Sumatra Thread!

she is purrty! i ended up with 1 like her outta this yrs hatch
big_smile.png

Hey guys! I live up in zone 5. Its getting very cold and this is my first year with a Sumatra flock. My understanding is that Sumatras don't take cold weather too well. Should I be heating their coop? What do you folks up in the northern climates usually do? Have you have a hard time keeping them healthy though the winter?

Last edited:
Hey Brothfeder, welcome to the thread. I'm not up north but there are people with sumatras up in Washington, NY, and PA (along with other areas). Most people I've talked to don't heat their coops. Hopefully some of them will swing by to say how they do stuff. Good luck with your birds.

Hey guys! I live up in zone 5. Its getting very cold and this is my first year with a Sumatra flock. My understanding is that Sumatras don't take cold weather too well. Should I be heating their coop? What do you folks up in the northern climates usually do? Have you have a hard time keeping them healthy though the winter?

I'm not sure who told you they are not cold hardy, that person has no idea what they're talking about. They are the hardiest birds I've ever owned. No comb, no wattles, thick plumage, I'm in CT and have had no issues whatsoever. I have to worry about the bantams and D'uccles with their combs etc. sebrights are tough too from small body size and thin feathering. No heat is best in winter. Some plastic up over runs to break the wind is enough for most birds and fresh thawed water every morning

In my experience, the standard sized Sumatras are quite cold hardy. I do put some heat on my Sumatra bantams in winter, just as a precaution.

I live in NJ and my bantam and Largefowl Sumatras are one of my hardiest breeds I own. My moderns, sebrights and Danvers I worry more about but Sumatras and my faverolles do great

Back
Top Bottom