Sumatra Thread!

The only advice I have is to give them a roosting pole that's 3 inches wide, so their feathers cover their whole foot/toes when roosting. If they can't do that you might lose some toes if it gets real cold and windy. This is good advice for all breeds, not just Sumatra. In my experience I have never had any that lost toes, but I would rather practice prevention than wish I had when it does happen. Their ample feathering does help a lot in toe freeze prevention.
If you want you could post some pictures, that way we can enjoy them with you.
smile.png

Good point Troyer, I almost always forget the feet/toes. Due to the severe cold snap we had last year, last year was the only year so far that I was even a little worried about the combs. Besides for 2 spike tips, everything was fine.

Hey guys! I live up in zone 5. Its getting very cold and this is my first year with a Sumatra flock. My understanding is that Sumatras don't take cold weather too well. Should I be heating their coop? What do you folks up in the northern climates usually do? Have you have a hard time keeping them healthy though the winter?

Mine did fine in one of michigans coldest winters, no heating or nothing :)

4 roosters together! Couldn't ask for better cooperation haha it's that time to condense the flocks. I think I'll keep 3 of these 4 though

And my newest breed addition for the game lovers. Traded a couple of my Sumatras for this trio

4 roosters together! Couldn't ask for better cooperation haha it's that time to condense the flocks. I think I'll keep 3 of these 4 though

And my newest breed addition for the game lovers. Traded a couple of my Sumatras for this trio

Nice looking young trio, you'll have to post another picture once they finish maturing. Good luck with them.

Back
Top Bottom