Sumatra Thread!

Pics
Quote:
Pics would probably help. A Sumatra that old would definitely be a bad specimen if he didn't have spurs growing by then. I think most roosters in general--regardless of breed--should be considered poor specimens if they have no spurs growing. But that is just my opinion....

When chickens have multiple spurs they tend to grow slowly, with exceptions of course. Your bird may be an extremely slow developer, spur wise. Or he is not of the mentioned age. Its possible that he is just a very slow developer.

Zach

Been raising chickens for, well forever, and have been raising large numbers of Sumatras for the past 10 years and I have never had a male not have spurs by the time they are a year old. True, multiple spur birds typically have slower/delayed overall spur growth, but not that slow. My birds will have at least 3 (up to 7) spurs on each leg and they will all be very noticeable by one year. As a matter of fact, you can tell who will grow multiple spurs the day the chicks hatch and can cull for that at that time. So in my flock, that bird would not make it to breed its first hen.

Well, my Sumatra pair hates each other.
hmm.png

They've been penned together now away from the rest of the flock for about a week or so and they literally stay on opposite ends of the tractor from one another most of the time. I think it's because my cockerel is a few months younger than my pullet and hasn't quite figured out that he's a rooster.
roll.png

My pullet only really tolerates him when they are eating or drinking, she most of the time chases him away from the feeder.

I plan on adding a second pullet to the pen next weekend, maybe the new bird will help the other two acclimate. I dunno. It's pretty frustrating though.

Hello Sumatra folks,

Here is my Sumatra. Today 20 weeks old. I have been calling her a her because of the lack of roo behaviour. Absolutely not interested in any of the hens, and I have not heard a peep or any attempt at crowing. My friend saw this bird this past weekend and says it's a rooster.

This bird was hatched by one of my hens (only hatchling) and eggs came from a local Sumatra breeder.

What sex is this bird? (thank you)

60053_img_3391.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I guess the name Imp is either sex! I'm just curious why no roo behaviour?
Or maybe he saw that the last roo, went to live in the town next door last month!
At least the girls don't dislike him. :)

Back
Top Bottom