Sumatra Thread!

Pics
Quote:
how old is it?
I have noticed sumatras as they get older they grow more spurs.
mine started with three spurs, a year later he grew two more.

I read on some articles where they mention that some of the jungle fowls seldom grow double spurs, I think was the lafayettei or grey jungle fowl .
maybe some of these fowls have something to do with the sumatra origins

The sumatra history is really obscure, all what we have are just conclusions .
some others breeds carry multiple spurs such a cubalayas .
where this mutation came from who knows!
!!

this article has some interesting arguments :
page # 4 has something about sumatras
www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=404081hope I got the link right

temporary-6.jpg

temporary-5.jpg

my guy is shaping long I like it he also is growing three main spurs and two small ones totally 5 spurs on each legs.
woo hoo maybe as he get older he grows more .

Last edited:
Quote:
how old is it?

was noticing that myself. My coming 3 year olds are now getting their 4th per leg. They were pretty much born with 3, but notice while I was worming and dusting them last weekend that they all had new ones coming in.

I have a blue sumatra that is supposedly about 3 years old, but has no spurs at all. He's got some little spur buds but nothing like a real spur. Is he just a bad specimin or is he maybe a lot younger than I was told? Any ideas? I can try to get some pictures later, I'm not at home now.

Quote:
Pics would probably help. A Sumatra that old would definitely be a bad specimen if he didn't have spurs growing by then. I think most roosters in general--regardless of breed--should be considered poor specimens if they have no spurs growing. But that is just my opinion....

Quote:
how old is it?

was noticing that myself. My coming 3 year olds are now getting their 4th per leg. They were pretty much born with 3, but notice while I was worming and dusting them last weekend that they all had new ones coming in.

I have seen with Cubalayas and Sumatras that the chicks start out with enlarged scales wrapping down the leg from the main spurs to the pads. The farther from the main spur(s) the slower they develope... At least that is what i have noticed.

Quote:
Pics would probably help. A Sumatra that old would definitely be a bad specimen if he didn't have spurs growing by then. I think most roosters in general--regardless of breed--should be considered poor specimens if they have no spurs growing. But that is just my opinion....

When chickens have multiple spurs they tend to grow slowly, with exceptions of course. Your bird may be an extremely slow developer, spur wise. Or he is not of the mentioned age. Its possible that he is just a very slow developer.

Zach

Pictures of my Platinum cockerel today, about a week and a half shy of being 6 months old. He wasn't being very cooperative on the ground so I had to hold him to get these shots...

IMG_5693.jpg

IMG_5695.jpg

IMG_5702.jpg

IMG_5703.jpg

He's got nice yellow soles.
smile.png

IMG_5698.jpg

Back
Top Bottom