Sumatra Thread!

Quote: No smaller than an hamberg rooster. which is at 4 lbs. If you hen is smaller than a hamberg rooster she is to small. A sumatra rooster should be the weight and size as a dominiques hen. I have seen a true dominiqes hen at the show, they are not that small.
smile.png

Quote: Yes I would be happy to do that for you.

Last edited:
Hi Penny Hen!

I think you have a great question and I'd like to pass on a few thoughts and experiences with this breed.

I raise pheasants, junglefowl, sumatras and cornish none of which are particularly famed for their egg production, and all except for cornish are wild or somewhat wild. My junglefowl lay as many as 9 eggs in spring, and there is the potential for 9 more eggs in fall. My pheasants lay up to 30 eggs in spring. These are wild species, they have the ability to lay a second clutch of eggs if the first clutch is destroyed but if the second fails the season is over for them. The sumatra is not too far removed from these wild relatives. Sumatras have many traits that characterize their wild nature: seasonal laying, exemplary brooding and parenting, foraging and living feral, flying etc. Behaviour not found in most domestic poultry defines this breed, and we as caretakers need to be conscientious of breeding to preserve these instincts as well as the stunning good looks.

From my background in the conservation of wild breeds I have a different perspective on breeding. The single greatest threat to any wild junglefowl species is crossbreeding, both in the wild and in captivity. We are losing these birds, just look up "Bekisar"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bekisar

Basically the government made a crossbreed rooster the national bird and a law that all major businesses had to have one as a mascot and now people are trapping all the wild green junglefowl roosters to captive breed this cross. When there are no pure green junglefowl left the species will be extinct.

Back to your question, I feel that seasonal laying is a wild trait that Sumatras retain, and an estimated average of 100 eggs per year is pretty good compared to the wild Junglefowl these birds descended from. If we would like to see more eggs, I would suggest recording the number of eggs each of your hens lay and the following year only hatching from the most prolific layers.

Leghorns are a wonderful bird, created by breeding out the wild traits that would hamper egg production. I'm sure it is possible to use black leghorns to boost egg production, and we might get offspring that by appearances are sumatra after a few years, but will we retain the complex behaviours of a real sumatra? I suggest to you that we would be ruining two perfectly good breeds to the detriment of both.

-Stephen

And that is exactly what I needed to know. I am concidering raising them because they are stunningly beautiful. To some people everything is just utility. I love artistry. If you can combine the two packages that's great but if it causes you to trade out other valuable traits then it is not worth it.

is the Sumatra a small rooster?
Yes, the sumatras are not a dual purpose breed. The SOP lists the hens at 4 lbs and the roosters at 5 lbs and that is at/ after a year old of age. One could still eat a sumatra though just as one could eat a silkie (if you're not freaked out about black skin, meat, and organs)

Quote: I agree with St3ph3n. I have mine more for their looks then eggs, kinda like my polish who aren't great layers either. My sumatras act more like my red golden pheasants than my chickens. When I worm my birds, I do it at night (makes it easier for me to catch them since mine are not pets). Outta all the breeds and projects I have, 95% will stay on the roost while I grab birds and worm them. I can't even walk into my sumatra pen all the way and they are all off the roost and at the end of their pen, just like my pheasants, who can't be sneaked up on in the dark of night. I have read where some people's sumatras lay even in winter, mine never have. But this is just my experience with the breed.

I am going to the Safford show in three days! Today I was busily giving My sumatra's a bath perparing them for the show. This photo is one of my blue pullets I bred out this year and she was just given a bath as well. She just turned six mouths old today! Once she fills out she will be a really nice hen. I was planning on breeding her to one of my dark blue males just to bring out the lacing in her chicks. Do you guys think that will help? Thanks for your input.
big_smile.png

Hey I was just looking at these on my computer (usually use my phone) and must have missed it first time around. This kind of looks like a split wing. You might want to check that out.

She is missing two wing feather on that side. A moues chewed off the tips and I had to pull them out. Darn mice! Most of my older birds got their tail feathers chewed off too. I am not showing a majority of them because that happened. You guys should see the damage they have done in two nights!

Last edited:
Is that normal to have problems with mice? I've been concerned about larger predators all this time since losing several birds to a raccoon...I never thought of being concerned with mice.

Is that normal to have problems with mice? I've been concerned about larger predators all this time since losing several birds to a raccoon...I never thought of being concerned with mice.
I'm not sure what problems with mice you are referring to but mice
can occupy outbuildings most anywhere but good management of your
coop will keep mice to a minimum. Mice are attracted by leftover feed and
the sheltered areas that are not frequented. Keep all areas active and clean
and mice should not be a problem. Usually if mice are a problem in your
coop they may chew the feathers of your birds while they are sleeping in
nest boxes or on the floor. Having roost that the birds will use makes it
difficult for mice to chew feathers. Good luck and hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom