Sumatra Thread!

If you consider the areas marked in the picture as the back then it is
more of a slope than horizontal and taking in consideration the tilt of
the picture forward it is more sloped. Looks more like a gentle curve to
me.......but that is just me. The bird also seems to have an upright stance
to me.....but again just how I see it.

Below is a picture of a hen (taken at a level side shot) that shows the gentle slope of the sumatra's back. I hope this helps to clear things up.

BB-Blue-LF-Kernan-S-Ohio.jpg

[COLOR=008000]If you consider the areas marked in the picture as the back then it is[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]more of a slope than horizontal and taking in consideration the tilt of[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]the picture forward it is more sloped. Looks more like a gentle curve to[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]me.......but that is just me. The bird also seems to have an upright stance[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]to me.....but again just how I see it.[/COLOR]
Ah hah- how did you know I wanted to see the landmarks for the "back" on a Sumatra. Thank you, sometimes show definitions are different than everyday usage.

Cute Raph, are these your sumatra game cross?
The black chick in the top photo is a game cross Sumatra and the other chick is a leghorn. I'm hoping it is a light brown leghorn but only time will tell.
17 out of 30 eggs have hatched, unfortunately a leghorn and a Rhode island red got stuck and died in the shell. I could have tried harder to help them, but so far my experience with helping chicks hasn't been very good. i find normally they start bleeding when you try and help and then they normally turn out to be feeble and die. We have 3 Rhode island red, 2 Sumatra, 3 Game cross, 3 Pekins and 6 leghorn chicks.
Ill set up the brooder for them today and ill take some picture either today or tomorrow!

Sorry about the 2 that didn't make it. I have found the same thing, if the chick can't make it out of the egg on its own it doesn't seem to do well. Good luck with the chicks you got, do you have more to hatch still?

Sorry about the 2 that didn't make it. I have found the same thing, if the chick can't make it out of the egg on its own it doesn't seem to do well. Good luck with the chicks you got, do you have more to hatch still?
They is still a couple of Pekin eggs in their, I'm going to leave them in for a day or two more. That bantam Sumatra who went broody the other day is now sitting tight, so might move her into the broody coop tonight. She is covering 8 eggs so ill leave them all under her.

Does anyone have some pics of Sumatras at about 4 weeks old? I need to separate the 6 I have from the 20 orpingtons. I don't want to pull a black orp by mistake

Does anyone have some pics of Sumatras at about 4 weeks old? I need to separate the 6 I have from the 20 orpingtons. I don't want to pull a black orp by mistake
The sumatras should have a pea comb (looks a little flat) while the orps should have a single comb (looks like little spikes), also sumatras should have yellow feet bottoms while orps should have pink feet bottoms. Hope this helps you some.

Back
Top Bottom