Sumatra Thread!

hopefully when spring comes, the farm where i rescued my pullet hatches suma chicks and i'd love to buy more! such beautiful birds - I cant wait to show her!

Hello I don't own any Sumatras but am highly interested in them I have lots of other chickens and other fowl but I want to know these birds temperaments and habits and overall care of this breed thanks to anyone that replies
big_smile.png

Historically these birds are very close to jungle fowl. They can and do love to fly. Males can be extremely aggressive towards other Sumatra Males (they were bread for cock fighting and have multiple spurs).

From personal experience - I keep mine confined in moveable chicken tractors as much of the year as possible. They are really my daughter's show birds and I have too many neighbors close by with dogs to allow for free ranging - not that I like free ranging anyways. I prefer some type of pasturing where I can count heads easily.

I do not find them to be aggressive - they are nervous and flighty but can be quite friendly if you work with them. In fact during the winter I usually mix my sumatra's in with my white rocks -- 2 roos and a bunch of hens with zero problems.

I put an extra Sumatra rooster and 2 extra orpington roosters in my winter layer coop and am also having zero problems.

They are not great layers --- Right now i'm lucky to get 1 egg per week per bird. At best I get 3 per week per bird

Quote:I have a pullet that looks like this but I was told when I bought her that she is a Phoenix.

If she has the dark face skin she should be a sumatra, but I know alot of people are mixing some long tail birds with fibro birds. Posting a picture of her here might help determine what she is.

I'm pretty sure she is a Sumatra. My Aunt has the parents. She has the yellow bottoms of her feet, I haven't been able to get a halfway decent pic of them yet.

Back
Top Bottom