Super Easy Crock Pot Apple Butter

It does seem to be a crowd pleaser! I like the apple pie spice becasue I also am not too crazy about the clove and strong cardamon taste so that works best for me. I would imagine peaches and pears could be done pretty much the same way..the red hots...hmmm, not so sure about them, lol!!!..good luck with the canning Sara..I love to hear the jars pop!!! I have only frozen the apple butter though but canning would be a better option for gift giving.
wink.png

I am so glad someone bumped this thread as I missed it the first time! I am going to make the apple butter as the weekend there is the Apple Festival in Seymour, MO. My dh is driving a tractor in the parade and I am buying apples.
wink.png
Now forgive my ignorance but when doing the water-bath...do I have to use a rack in the bottom or can I just put the jars in without a rack?? I cannot wait to try this and I will use Scrambled Egg's recipe as I can't do a lot of the clove taste either.
I never get to see the rest of the threads on byc anymore as I am so busy on all the recipes!
lau.gif

Quote:
You can use a regular stockpot for water bathing, just put something on the bottom to disperse the heat.... in a large pot -a wire cookie cooling rack will work (if it'll fit), or you can use a kitchen hand towel folded to fit the bottom under the jars.
wink.png

Thank you for the info. My dd just emailed me a link that says I can wire jar rings together to make a rack...how about that?
lol.png
There are some pretty smart women out there aren't there? I cannot wait to start. I just have a small stock pot but it is tall so this will work until I can get my own reg. pot with rack. Now I cover the jars about an inch or two with water and boil for ten min.? Cool, you guys are the greatest!

Quote:
In my Ball Blue Book it has recipes varying from 10 minutes in the Boiling Water Bath, 15 mininutes, to I think up to 20 min in BWB. I guess it all depends on what you're canning. It doesn't have a standard time for all things BWB canned. If you're canning a specific item lemme know & I'll look it up in the book.
smile.png

Edited to add: Sorry, Duh... you were meaning the Apple Butter.
lol.png
The Apple Butter is canned for 10 minutes in BWB. On the previous page of this post I listed the ingredients for multiple 'butter' recipes & BWB times (in case anyone had other fruit they'd be wanting to can also).

Last edited:
Quote:
The Apple Butter (or any of the butter recipes I listed on the previous page 11 of this post) call for 10 min in a BWB. & the Salsa recipe in my Ball Blue Book is:

Salsa

4 cups peeled, cored, chopped tomatoes (about 6 large)
2 cups seeded, chopped long green peppers (about 10 large)
1 cup seeded, chopped hot peppers (about 10 medium)
3/4 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar

Combine all ingredients in a large sauce pot. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer about 20 mintues. Pour hot into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Adjust caps. Process 30 minutes in boiling water bath.

Yield: about 6 half pints.

There are also some canning recipes at the Ball website at: www.freshpreserving.com
smile.png

Very Welcome
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
I always enjoy getting recipes & info I'm looking for, so I always try to help anyone looking for something.
smile.png
BYC is like an information SuperHighway, lol.
lau.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom