Surprise ducks - help

Thank you all!
So much good advice, definitely going to be using a lot of this.

I'm glad I have the order number so I can track the order progress.
I've got the duck crumble coming in today so that'll be here for them, also have plenty of electrolytes and probiotics stocked up already.
This isn't the worst timing I've had with shipped chicks. One year we did have a snowstorm in the spring right when a shipment was due to arrive and they came in alright. Not great, but about as good as you would normally expect with shipping.
It's been a very mild November so far, so if I can't delay the shipment till spring, things might still be alright.

Definitely posting pictures when I get them, be it next week or next year. <3

Breeds are a mixed variety, says a minimum of 3 will be given. Possibilities are; Pekin, Rouen, Khaki Campbell, Blue Swedish, Black Swedish, White Crested, Fawn & White Runner, Black Runner, Blue Runner, Chocolate Runner, Saxony, Silver Appleyard, Golden 300, and White Layer

Looking at the hatchery's website and what is available now, I think Pekin, Blue Swedish, Silver Appleyard, Fawn and white runners, and Khaki Cambell are most likely.

(It was turkeys I was thinking of for the water thing in my first post.)
For my "ducks being more prone to broken legs' comment, was another anecdote from the store I work in. I know a lot of times they would come in from the post office with leg issues. I'm thinking it was shipping issues, but having niacin on hand will probably help save a lot of them from that.

Last edited:
Ducks are only slightly messier as babies than chickens. I strongly recommend using wood pellets for animals as your bedding. I've had many ducklings and raise them inside for a good 3 weeks before placing them outside. Wood pellets are your minds saving Grace. Also recommend getting a glad plastic container and cutting a hole out of the top with something slightly heavy inside with the water to keep the ducklings from being able to tip it over. They will be able to wash their nares and not be able to get in it to try and swim around. Being as you are in a snowy state ( I live in the desert so no snow) I would probably garage them until they feather out. One winter I had ducklings and I used an old plastic dog crate with drilled holes in the top to attach a lamp. It worked quite well and was pretty safe. I would get a large Rubbermaid container from home Depot I think they are gray and cost about $40 that you could put them in. A kid pool will not retain enough heat during the winter to keep them from getting chilly. Ducks grow really fast and will not need the heat lamp as long as chicks do.
When I am raising ducklings inside, I allow them to swim for a couple of minutes every other day until they are old enough to go outside. I have found over the years that the ducklings who were exposed to water sooner have better preening habits and are generally more clean as adults. Start by adding only enough water that they can stand in because ducklings can and do drown when there is too much water and they get too tired. I treat ducklings like babies never leave them alone in case something happens you can scoop them out.

Providing updates while I sort through everything;

Ducklings will be shipped out this week. I’m not able to cancel or delay due to the timing of it all. It’s warmer today, and this week doesn’t seem too bad temperature wise.

The feed is here. Left it in the packaging for now so that cats won’t chew holes in it.
Going to get some wood pellet bedding. I have flake shavings, but I think I’ll try the pelletized since I’ve seen it recommended a lot.

Bought a backing sheet and cooling rack to go on top. We have some we don’t use somewhere, but I know if I try to use those it’ll cause issues so buying them new works.

Still figuring out the water dish situation.
Non-slip dog bowls seemed promising, if a bit messy. Cutting a hole in an old milk jug or Tupperware bowl could work too, but I always worry about the sharp edges such modifications create.
I’ll try a few things and see what works.

Given the number and how fast they grow. I don’t think my brooder hutch will work too well despite how much I love the thing. (Worked well for raising 24 chicks earlier this year)
Picture here;
5DF4F5F4-89DA-4BDC-BDBE-46844A8A1218.jpeg

983AAD9B-B76B-4C2D-8038-7BC432D57BEB.jpeg

(I love this thing, it’s so pretty and I can keep it inside without worrying about the cats so much. But a wood box base doesn’t mix so well with little water goblins)

So I put an order in for a new kiddie pool. Mine is cracked and I think I’d like a bit more area and depth to work with, but something still easy to move and take down as needed.

This is the one I’m getting;
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lockways...Large-Kiddie-Pool-for-Dogs-and-Cats/123636492

It’s Due to arrive by Wednesday. I’m hoping it gets here sooner, but I’ll work with what I have until them.

Think we’ll put them in the barn/workshop. We have separate buildings and garage space, just working around what’s been claimed as office space and what I can still use for these little guys until spring.
I usually brood inside the house. But given the timing, it’s for the best they’re not inside given our household. One member is going through surgery in a couple weeks and will need the space while she recovers. So garage or heated workshop they go.

Going to be a weird winter.
I think once they outgrow the brooder plate and kiddie pool, I’ll set up a pen for them in one of the other garages that I can hose out as needed, get them a new more permanent shelter in the spring.

My mom suggested we give the ducklings to our silkies. Pretty sure it was a joke, but I do wonder what that would look like. It’d be possible sure, but in the winter? I don’t think I’d risk it given how little I still know. Plus none of our girls are broody right now anyway (thankfully).

Providing updates while I sort through everything;

Ducklings will be shipped out this week. I’m not able to cancel or delay due to the timing of it all. It’s warmer today, and this week doesn’t seem too bad temperature wise.

The feed is here. Left it in the packaging for now so that cats won’t chew holes in it.
Going to get some wood pellet bedding. I have flake shavings, but I think I’ll try the pelletized since I’ve seen it recommended a lot.

Bought a backing sheet and cooling rack to go on top. We have some we don’t use somewhere, but I know if I try to use those it’ll cause issues so buying them new works.

Still figuring out the water dish situation.
Non-slip dog bowls seemed promising, if a bit messy. Cutting a hole in an old milk jug or Tupperware bowl could work too, but I always worry about the sharp edges such modifications create.
I’ll try a few things and see what works.

Given the number and how fast they grow. I don’t think my brooder hutch will work too well despite how much I love the thing. (Worked well for raising 24 chicks earlier this year)
Picture here;
View attachment 3334306
View attachment 3334317
(I love this thing, it’s so pretty and I can keep it inside without worrying about the cats so much. But a wood box base doesn’t mix so well with little water goblins)

So I put an order in for a new kiddie pool. Mine is cracked and I think I’d like a bit more area and depth to work with, but something still easy to move and take down as needed.

This is the one I’m getting;
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lockways...Large-Kiddie-Pool-for-Dogs-and-Cats/123636492

It’s Due to arrive by Wednesday. I’m hoping it gets here sooner, but I’ll work with what I have until them.

Think we’ll put them in the barn/workshop. We have separate buildings and garage space, just working around what’s been claimed as office space and what I can still use for these little guys until spring.
I usually brood inside the house. But given the timing, it’s for the best they’re not inside given our household. One member is going through surgery in a couple weeks and will need the space while she recovers. So garage or heated workshop they go.

Going to be a weird winter.
I think once they outgrow the brooder plate and kiddie pool, I’ll set up a pen for them in one of the other garages that I can hose out as needed, get them a new more permanent shelter in the spring.

My mom suggested we give the ducklings to our silkies. Pretty sure it was a joke, but I do wonder what that would look like. It’d be possible sure, but in the winter? I don’t think I’d risk it given how little I still know. Plus none of our girls are broody right now anyway (thankfully).
Silkies could totally raise them. Mine can raise anything, I think. They're amazing mamas.

For the sharp edges on DIY waterers, I use a lighter to melt the edges. Just FYI. Dog bowls will def work, but they will be messy!

I'm so excited for you!!!

Haven't gotten any delivery info yet. Though it's not set up to be sent to me, all I've got to go on is the order number. Any emails or phone calls would go to someone else and I'm not sure if/when they might pass it back on to me.
The order tracking hasn't moved it off of processing yet. I wonder if there's been a delay or if the website may be slow to update.

Contacted the post office, but I'd have a bit more piece of mind if I had the tracking number to give them too.

Congrats !!
I just love my ducks
I have had batches of 9 and 11 and did just fine
I use butter containers and cut holes in the lids this way they dunk their heads but can’t jump in and get stuck
I used puppy pads for the first 1-2 weeks as the wood chips can get in their little nose and get stuck ( had this happen to one baby once )
I start to bath mine at day 3. Honestly mom takes them straight to swim after she leaves the nest
I have never had an issue with ducklings not having oil. The first time they swim they start to preen and use the oil gland
I make it deep they can swim but also stand up about 5-10 mins
Then I dry them with paper towels as it absorbs most of the water and put them by the heat and they do the rest
As they grow you can use the bigger containers as well
I used these as I had them here already and didn’t have to buy any
One more tip I keep the feed a few steps away from the water. When doing this I don’t get a big mess of water in my feed

Attachments

• 3C9ACF64-582B-4EF1-A8EE-A41059137E2A.jpeg
    3C9ACF64-582B-4EF1-A8EE-A41059137E2A.jpeg
    377 KB · Views: 1
  • A2F9AA8B-D3C8-4530-ABC2-49FDD1669008.jpeg
    A2F9AA8B-D3C8-4530-ABC2-49FDD1669008.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom